So you got an iPod for Christmas...now what?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 25, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

Protect It!!

The firsy thing you have to do (if you care about your iPod) is protect it. Buy a cover, screen protector or something!!

3. macrumors 6502a

I use the iPod cover that came with the iPod. It's black, slick, and protects the iPod very well. My girlfriend has the iPod socks, and they scratch the device. There's really no need to get a case, the free one is excellent.

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors 65816

There is no cover that comes with an iPod nano. Is there a preferred cover available somewhere?

6. macrumors member

I am a big fan of the Foof bags (foofshop.com) for all sorts of portable devices. They aren't hard, so they don't protect from impact, but they ARE stylish and they protect from scratches really well.

7. macrumors regular

Unless you want to protect it while you are using it.
    The front controls and the screen are not accessible while it's in the included case.
    To each their own, of course.

8. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

hawk it for crack! :p This article seems to be repeating what has been written 100's of times before. So I'm putting a new spin on it.

9. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My iPod still got scratched even after using the case religiously. Anyway, dad gave mum a Shuffle, and I gave her an iTunes voucher to complement it :)

10. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

11. macrumors member

I dont know about this guy, but I enjoying listening to albums, not just single songs.

12. macrumors 68020

SeaFox

There's not? I seem to remember Apple including one as part of the whole scratched-up screen saga?

13. macrumors 603

solvs

Bought a plastic cover for my nano for $5. Clings to it without slipping, doesn't block anything, but protects the screen. It shipped free from some website I bought it at because I bought some other stuff.

This article isn't for us though, it's for people who don't already know this stuff. ;)

14. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

My mom bought me, my dad and herself iPod shuffles with our initials engraved. First thing I did was load up music on mine and my moms, and then...posting a message here after trying for a few hours to get my dads to work :( So, 66% of our Christmas iPods work, haha :rolleyes:

I should mention that all three of us already have iPods, but my mom decided that it wouldn't be Christmas without having purchased something Apple...why she decided on buying three shuffles, I don't really know, lol, but they are cool!

15. macrumors 68000

iPodLinux

One More Thing…

Has anyone installed iPod linux on their iPod?
    It's just that, I've got the 2nd gen nano and I want to watch videos on it but I want to know if anyone has taken the risk of installing kernal on their iPod Nano. The biggest question is: Is it save to install kernal?

16. macrumors 68040

shamino

Depends on the model. Some are far more scratch-prone than others. And some users are more abusive than others.

For instance, a first-generation nano (especially a black one) seems to scratch easily, and shows all those scratches. But my second-gen nano (metal shell) dosn't seem to get or show any scratches.

Some iPods have come with slip-cases. Some don't.

17. macrumors 68040

shamino

An interesting article, but I would take a different approach.

Putting extra tags in the genre field can work fine for smart playlists, but it undermines many of the iPod's browsing capabilities. For instance, if I have two songs tagged as "pop.80s.synth" and "pop.70s.piano", they will (obviously) end up grouped separately by the genre menu (both in iTunes and on the iPod). This can make it difficult to search for songs if you don't know/remember precisely which sub-genres you tagged the song with.

Instead, I keep genre very broad (Pop/Rock, Blues/R&B, Jazz, Classical, Broadway, and little else). I use the "Grouping" field to store a comma-delimited list of sub-genre tags, and base my smart playlists on that. This allows easy browsing, and still lets me make all the fancy smart playlists I want.

The only problem with this approach is that Apple uses the Grouping field as a way to group together different movements of classical performances. (e.g. the symphony name is the Grouping and the Title simply contains things like "first movement", "second movement", etc.) I need to rearrange the tags when I purchase those kinds of tracks. This typically means copying the Grouping text into the Title fields for the affected tracks.

Ideally, Apple should change Genre to a collection of tags that can be checked/unchecked as needed for each track. Sort of like the Keywords property that iPhoto attaches to images.