're been caught cheating...

Discussion in 'Community' started by camobag, May 4, 2004.

1. camobag macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2003

just in case some of you thought i was talking about cheating on a significant other, that is not what i'm talking about. i'm talking about submitting a paper that wasn't yours...well, at least most of it. i have done this and was caught. unfortunately, i flunk the course, as well as lose most respect that had from two of my favorite professors. it was stupid...stupid, stupid, stupid. anyone have any consoling words? if not, whatever...i'm just having a hard time. later
  2. Apple //e macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2003

at least they didnt expell you from school.
  3. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    You learned a lesson and you move on. They're upset because they probably feel you're quite capable of peforming to your potential on your own without the need for cheating. In other words, they're disappointed 'cause they know you know better.

Cheating is an old as the hills, but seems to have reached a zenith lately - almost to the point of garnering respect for "getting away with it" and beating the system as being a "clever" thing to do. You can always blame the influence of society at large, know better. ;)
  4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't worry too much about it. If all you got was an F, then you are lucky. Just retake the course, get your degree, and get out.

I don't know about the circumstances, but turning in someone else's work wasn't smart. You could have at least changed it around a bit, or something.

Of course, I will extend my sympathy... :(
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Funny how college is a microcosm of the business world where cheating and taking credit for other people's work is much more widespread.

But they're also trying to teach people to work together on problem solving in schools then turn around and say that students getting together to solve their math homework is cheating.
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The Internet makes it easier to cheat, but also easier for teachers to detect cheating. I think the risk and the disadvantages (even when you get away with it) outweigh the advantages. After all, you wouldn't want your classmates cheating on papers when you were writing your own, would you?

(I'm speaking to the world at large, not to you, camobag. You already found out the hard way, and I feel sorry for you.)
  7. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    thats a bummer. but i guess you have a chance to prove to them next time that you arent a cheat and are capable of doing the work

good luck
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Where did you buy your essay? ;)

If it was an essay handed in by a friend in the same class, even if he took the class the year before, would be pretty darned stupid. I know someone who took an essay from someone who took the class 2 years previous, and lets just say that it didn't go "very well." ;) Someone recognized it quite easily and simply gave him the failing grade he deserved.

Anyway, I was once told that I was cheating in a 3rd year quantum mechanics class. They claimed that on one of the 10 questions of an assignment, my work looks very similar to the maths work done by another student. What can I say? There were only 2 ways to solve it: Either solve for x, substitute it into the equation, then solve for y; or solve for y, sub it into the eq'n, and then solve for x. I only got a zero for that question, which was nice of them to do (I think). It sucks that school policy states that accused cheaters have to prove their innocence, especially since I can't actually "prove" that I didn't cheat. :rolleyes:

It goes to show you where your moral level is at when you're trying to pull stuff like this off. You wouldn't be feeling so bad if you didn't get caught, would you? Hope you learned your lesson.
  9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    The only thing I can say to you is that you got off lucky. We have a no tolerance for plagarism here at my school. The only thing you can console yourself with is that you'll have a chance to make up for it. Hopefully you have learned you lesson, and will work hard to prove yourself in the future.
  10. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i know i'm being a hard arse, but i think "unfortunately" and "consoling" are misplaced above... you cheated knowing you could get caught and if caught, pay for the consequences. so i don't think it's "unfortunate" that you flunked the course and i don't think anyone should give you "consoling" words. no?

as others said, you got off easy - expulsion is a definite possibility at other places. i think you learned your lesson (and it's not "don't get caught" ;) ) - good luck moving on.
  11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    so what was the paper on and where did you find it?

I graduated 11 years ago and it was a different world then in terms of cheating. The internet wasn't as big a deal as it is now.....

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I got that once in calc. I then recited the problem from memory and then solved it mentally as fast as I could talk in a crowded corridor. There was never another question about cheating.
  13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    but in both those cases - what if it was the other person cheating off of you? :D

Works both ways, you know?

14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I agree. If someone's going to choose to do something as blatantly wrong as plagarism (sp?) the least they can do is accept the consequences. Call me a hard-arse too, but my response is going to have to be, tough cookies, kid, and be grateful you weren't expelled. And: don't do it again.
  15. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004

you cheated, pure and simple. it sucks that you got caught, so take at as a lesson and move on. inever got caught cheating in school ;) just kidding, when i was teaching lab in college i once had people deliverate cheat on some lab reports. i gave them a break and explained to them why they did not need to do it and had them do it over, i didn't think it was such a big deal.

however, during my bachelors i did get accused of cheating, i had the rep of being a slacker and a goof, who just got by, well i really got into this project and did all the work myself and they told me that there was no way i was capable of the work, i argued back and they took me to the review board, and i was furious, damn near got kicked out of school, needless to say that professor doesn't work there anymore and my rep got a lot better!

cheating is wrong, i probably did it a few times in school just like everyone else has. if you get caught own up to it and move on.
  16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I cheated once - didn't need to, but it was too difficult to pass up.

Final Exam for Engineering Physics II (Thermo, Electrical, etc.) I was sitting at the front of the class right across from the graduate student giving the class. She was obviously bored and had a copy of the test. I didn't think too much of it at first, but this was a multiple choice test (you were given booklets to do the work in) and her copy had *all* the correct answers circled!!! I couldn't help myself and had to see if I had the right answers on some of the pages. I still had to do the work, but in a few cases I switched my answers and reworked the equations.

I felt really guilty later, but I just figured I was given a opportunity and took it.
  17. PatheiMathos macrumors newbie

May 5, 2004
    You live you learn

In high school me and a buddy got busted (sorta) after we wrote a program that "compromised the schools computer security system." Though it was a work of genius (and we figured out our vaguely homo-erotic teacher's password was "lilly"), I ended up losing out on my valedictorianship and any top 10 honors I was to receive.

They actually didn't have anything on us that could prove anything, (they don't even know how to read server logs) but I came clean with hopes that they would recognize that we did not do anything malicious. We didn't. I coulda helped em patch up their holes, but oh well I guess. I mean come on if I had wanted to do something I woulda been a bit more exciting, sheesh.

Anyway, I learned, don't do stupid things around ignorant people. It was a weird experience, But I must say it was satisfying to pick up my diploma (I didn't go to graduation, and I don't regret it) and show them my transcript that said I was the #1 spot in the class and laugh in their faces.

As for you, don't get too down on yourself about it. People will realize you're human. Just show that you've gotten past it. It'll be your talent that lands you jobs, not grades. In any case you can't change it now, so don't get stuck in those "if only i didn't..." arguments. I would like to know one person that never cheated happened to get caught. Remember, it takes some know-how and skill to cheat these days, thats energy misspent, I used mine for creativity in my ongoing graphic design studies.

18. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    I disagree with those who say that it sucks you got caught. I think it's a good thing. You learned from the experience and hopefully you won't do it again. academic dishonesty is serious, some take it more seriously than others - after all, you are stealing someone else's intellectual property.

At all the schools where I've been a student, you are kicked out after a hearing, and can't enroll again. Academia is very unforgiving sometimes.
  19. PatheiMathos macrumors newbie

May 5, 2004
    Lets not all bring in holier-than-though condescending remarks here, I'm sure we can all step down from our moral pedestal. wtfwjd?
  20. Dros macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2003
    I am always amazed at what people think they can get away with. You'll see a paper where the first paragraph is nearly illiterate and full of misunderstandings of the topic, then it switches over to polished writing on a subject that is barely related, and concludes with more illiterate rambling.

Or someone copies off the test next to them and so gets the answer right, but can't quite make out the little diagram that shows the work so has something with the right shapes (a helix here, a circle there) but none of the labels right.

Meanwhile, they are at home thinking, "I can call myself Mr. Smoooth".
  21. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    There is this dude in my math class who will come into class, sit next to me, ask me what assignments are due, pull out a folder, take out somebody's math assignments from last semester, slap his name on it and turn them in. Granted, I am more annoyed that he has to sit by me than his cheating, but what are you gonna do. I took solice in the fact that his test score would probably suck and my hard work would equate better test scores. Well, that idea was blown out of the water when the dude turns to me and goes,"Sweet, I got a 90" and walks out of the class.

I really don't know why it annoys me so much. There is no curve and his actions won't effect me and my grades but it just gets under my skin.
  22. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    I've never cheated academically.

Wish I could say the same thing romantically.

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    pretty lame, buddy... especially if you liked the profs? not only did you fail the course but you lost letters of recomendation/friends/contacts/oppurtunities...

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    That would piss me off too. :mad:

How did you prove that you're professor was wrong? Like I said, at my school, when it comes to plagiarism, the student has to prove himself innocent, so I was guilty until proven innocent. I only got a zero on a single question of the assignment, but I didn't want it to be on a permanent record of any sort. That's all people will see in my record...."Cheated".... and nothing else would matter. :rolleyes:
  25. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you camobag. My thought going into this thread was cheating on an exam or paper. If caught it seems that the best option is honesty. It's always the coverup that gets a person into more trouble. I've had personal experience at that but too embarrassed to go in to details. :eek: