So you've got 1800$ to spend???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ahmed, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Ahmed macrumors newbie

i was looking for new stuff not refurbished or used,

i ll tell u again what i ll use it for , internet,MS office,Dvds,burning dvds and cds,maybe a game or two thats it,transfering files from and to my digital camera (sony 5MP) and my mp3 player (Creative Muvo 2 1.5GB) , some graphics just basic and little stuff, printing some documents n reports for university and work, and some other sutff like watching video clips,listening to mp3s,editing some video clips that i took with my cam..etc

am thinking about getting the following:

-'17' iMac G5 2.0 (Superdrive)
    -BT Wireless Apple mouse&keyboard
    -Klipsch 2.0 Speakers

Or if i had some extra cash
    -The Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2 instead of the Klipsch

anyone knows the difference between the Klipsch Pro media ultra and the ultra pro speakers? both are 100$ ??

or maybe add 512mb Ram to the iMac G5 and get the speakers latter.

one more thing i have a 6 yr old HP Deskjet 710c printer its not USB , can i use it on my new iMac ? it works fine with XP.

any suggestions would be great but please dont tell me get the macmini i just dont like it :p

2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Or if i had some extra cash
    -The Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2 instead of the Klipsch

You can get the soundsticks for much cheaper on buy.com, or bestpriceaudiovideo.com...

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The iMac G5 is a great choice. My recommendation would be to hold off on the speakers. More RAM will make the iMac perform much better, I would go for 1GB if you can afford. Also consider AppleCare to be important, but you have within the first year to decide. The only difference is that you will loose phone support after 90 days.

Not really sure about the printer, but I think that it will need to have a USB connector. Maybe someone would know of an adaptor. You could give Apple a call.

4. Ahmed thread starter macrumors newbie

thx but the problem is that i cant order by credit card coz my billing is different than my shipping add(tourist) and i really dont have time to wait for stuff to arrive by mail , i just have to get from the apple store .

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10272870&loc=101&sp=1 , they r not available at buy.com..

5. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Well if you're travelling why not look at the iBook or PowerBook? The iMac's got a lot going for it, but being able to use it on a plane/train or carrying it around with you would be in the *Books' favor.

I would agree with other comments that more RAM (at least 1GB total) would be a good idea up-front.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Absolutely. The base RAM is garbage.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Use the school promotion and get yourself a new iPod mini to replace that creative one. :)

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If I were in your position, I'd definitely go for the iMac G5. It's got built in speakers, and while they're not as nice as the ones you're thinking of, they'll do OK. Use the extra money for RAM instead. As for your printer, I think you can probably use it with a USB -> Parallel port adapter. Keyspan makes some that work with Mac OS X (I have and use one), I'm sure there are other companies out there that make them as well.

9. Ahmed thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont think i ll get a student discount coz i am not from the states and i dont study their :rolleyes:

freiheit i hate laptops i want a new desktop :D