Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbk3191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Knoxville, TN
First of all, I really like this product. I like the size and portability of it, most of all. The back slate looks sweet, too. One thing I don't really like is where the glass display meets the metal backing. On mine, there seems to be a gap thats already full of lint and dust. That's kind of annoying. I'm sure once I start playing with it more I'll find some other disappointments. To me, the display is not holding it back. I have an iPad 3 and it's not as sharp, but not unacceptable.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
OP, yeah, I wish all the negative Nancys and valid criticisms will come and post here. The answer to your question should be pretty much the headlining whiny topic of the iPad mini sub-forum.

This is going to be a crazy, madhouse and full of whiny clutters week in this forum. Make it entertaining self-entitled whiners! :D

km536986

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Smart cover is a bit disappointing. Doesn't stick to the iPad like it did with my iPad 2. If you hold the iPad upside down, the center of the cover droops downward. Not cool. Guess they didn't add as many magnets or something.

Other than that, it's all good for me.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
1) I got a white and a black and I feel the white looks better in pictures than in person
2) The back is incredibly slippery. Ive got an invisible shield coming in soon though so no worries
3) The screen isnt very good (and Im coming from an iPad2). A product this size is where Retina really would benefit the user

Personally, I had no reading issues with my iPad 2 but I had to sell my MBA11 because the screen was too small and it gave me eye strain. Im concerned a smaller screen without retina will result in the same eye strain for extended use. Other than that its a solid product and the more manageable size Ive always wanted.

Last edited:

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
The cover as previously said is kind of cheap and the thin side bezels makes me always hit stuff on accident. Other than that its good so far!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
2) The back is incredibly slippery. Ive got an invisible shield coming in soon though so no worries

Really? I have the black one, and I find the back to be kind of grippy.

I have no complaints at this point. Could the display be better? Yeah, but it's more than acceptable to me. Unless I hold it 4 inches from my face, I see no pixels.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Just got in another package and had to add one more:

4) The Smart Cover. Ugh. I dont mind that they got rid of the silver hinge or that these feel cheap or dont hold the iPad as sturdy. But I do mind that they're chargine the same $40 price tag. I love Apple products so rarely do I ever feel like Apple is ripping me off... but Apple is ripping me off. :D

nanotoj

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
I am still assessing the mini but one thing that was obvious right off was the speakers don't even compare with the 4s. I will be getting a pair of the new ear buds later today so that won't really matter.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I do wish that it had the retina screen, one so that I wouldn't have to hear so many people complain about it. Two because I am pretty sure that there will be one sometime next year, which will make me want to upgrade. Though even though it is quite obviously not a retina screen, I've read threads where they say it's unusable, it most certainly isn't.

But all in all I'm really loving this thing. I actually wouldn't swap it for a iPad 4 because the weight difference is more important to me than the retina screen does.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
What I don't like?

I just got mine setup and have been using it for about an hour. I love the style, size & weight. The only thing I'm not overly thrilled about is the screen. That's the compromise for the mini IMO. Don't get me wrong....the screen is really nice....just below the current standards. I still see the same "fuzziness" on text when viewing web pages in portrait mode as I did with the iPad 2! That being said, the screen is acceptable for me! I've got the iPad 4 arriving this afternoon....my other option....it should be a fun comparison test!

Btw....the "Product Red" Smart Cover looks great on the black mini. Very cool combo! I also wanted to mention that there was absolutely no lineup at the Apple store (Perimeter Mall, Atlanta) at 10:15 his morning. I waltzed in and picked up a black one on the spot....they had all 3 sizes in stock! The Apple employee assigned to control the lines outside the store looked bit panic struck...by the lack of crowd!

Funnone

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Toledo,Ohio
Got mine this morning Black slate 32 gig I don't have a bad thing to say about it............... I love my mini ;)
I also have 1st 2nd and third generation iPad

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't like that I had to pay over $364 for it after taxes.

That's one of the things of the iPad mini that you can change, in a sense. You have the option of not buying it.

Personally, I'm very happy with it and while I haven't put it through its paces I can only think of one disappointment - the screen. I think its OK, its not great but its ok. One major reason I got the iPad mini is to read books, now with this said, I'm not seeing a major difference in display quality between the iPad-1 and the mini. Still at the price apple is charging, I was hoping for better.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I didn't realize the screen was going to be this bad. Wow. However, I love the form factor.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
+1 for the Smart Cover I used to love how you could fold it on itself but since its smaller there had to be some compromises. Although while typing this message I really love typing in portrait mode!

joefarrell86

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Downtown Seattle, WA
Am I crazy for thinking the screen looks really nice? Maybe I had really lowered my expectations because of all the complaining... but I haven't really been bothered by it yet.

I agree about the collection of dust on the black model. I thought they were little scratches on the bezel until I looked closer.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Though I haven't gotten to play with mine a ton, I can't help but think Apple made a mistake by not making just a tad smaller. I guess I have average size hands, I don't really know (male, by the way), but though I can hold it in one hand without really streching it, it just seems like it would've been a lot better size had it been a bit smaller so it could be a bit easier to hold (especially for women). Aside from that, seems pretty solid. Really like the form factor 10 fold over the iPad 3/4

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I didn't realize the screen was going to be this bad. Wow. However, I love the form factor.

Same here. Looking at my iPhone 5 and then this is making me cringe a bit.

I'm going to read with it tonight to see if it's a better experience than my ipad 3.

The screen is good for games, movies, photos.. but reading is what I'm most bugged about. I feel my eyesight is worse. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.