Soaked G3 Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by VooDooPope, Jun 9, 2004.

1. VooDooPope macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    The Heights, Houston TX
    I kept my G3 firewire Powerbook in the kitchen which was a great place for it. Well when I was remodeling my kitchen a few weeks ago I moved my work station into my sunroom forgetting that in very heavy rains there was a drip from the ceiling. Last week it rained really hard at night and the next day my beloved powerbook was dead, water poured out of the case when I picked it up. :(

I opened it all up and dried it off. You can hear it start up but I don't get any action on the screen. It won't display on an external monitor and won't mount as a target drive on my work compter. I did put the harddrive in a firewire enclosure and it mounts fine. I can retreive all my data but I'm afraid my beloved PB is dead.

Any advice?

Best way to get all my info into my new PB?

I have a line on a new 15" 1.25gz G4 PB for $2000 so I think that is my replacement Mac of choice adding a G5 iMac when they are released.

2. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    No advice, I'm afraid...just my condolences. I did read on another thread that if you dry out the computer REALLY well before firing it up again you may be able to save it...but I suppose it's already too late for that...
  3. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    take it into a service center and see if they can figure out whats wrong. sound kinda like the logic board is fried.

if you can't/dont want to fix it, ill take it off your hands. :rolleyes:
  4. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    was it on when it got soaked?

find a mate with annother pismo and test all the components and ebay the good ones