Soaring gas prices. Grease power poised?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, May 24, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking about getting a VW diesel and get the conversion kit so I can drive a "grease car". Imagine all the money I'd save in the long run???

To satisfy my need for speed. I would buy me a Triumph Bonneville or an old Kawasaki KZ1000. I like classic motorcycles.
    Hey you have to go fast somehow.

www.greasecar.com

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is this the same thing as biodiesel? Anyway, doesn't sound like a great idea. Yes, its cheaper and cleaner then petrol, but is it "clean"? If you're going to make such a drastic change, may as well make the cleanest and most convenient switch possible.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Only if you plan on getting an older diesel and the conversion kit.

The new TDIs and a grease conversion kit would probably be asking for trouble, unless you're willing to go through the trouble of cooking the waste grease into biodiesel.

Of course there was a idiot in the goofy news lately who was jailed for stealing the "valuable" used cooking oil.

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is insurance cheaper for diesel cars than regular gas burners?

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

There's no way I'm filling my car with grease no matter how high gas prices rise.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    These things smell great going down the highway.

The original diesel engine was designed to run on plant oil so its not much of a stretch.

With the system they are running you could almost power it on bacon grease. :)

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't you have to change your name to Danny Zuko before you can drive a grease car? ;)

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

and what do you do if you have a long trip? stop at the grocery store or something

iJon

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Perhaps visit a McDonald's drive thru and steal their fry grease.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Be on the Lookout the JesseJames

11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Why does this sound like a Simpsons episode gone bad? *_*

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Been reading the site and it is pretty interesting. seems like a good idea but for i would much rather stop by the gas station then stop at all the restaurants in town and gather grease.

iJon

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It reminds me of that Dodge Caravan that was converted to run off of dish detergent.

14. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Its a dual fuel system, the cooking oil must be heated before it is burned. So for the first five minutes or so you power the car with regular diesel. After the car is warmed up you can switch between the two fuels while you are driving, So if you run out of cooking oil you just flip a switch and start running of standard diesel.

You keep your regular fuel tank and just run on it just when you start the car and when you run out of cooking oil.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

"It can be locally produced, even grown in your own back yard!" This would make the whole thing much less expensive. The main ingredient would be labor!

16. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been tooling around the Volkwagon website and I'm quite intrigued.
    The 2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI looks pretty cool. Has everything I'm looking for. Good standard list of features; 5-speed tranny. I'm going into middle age so I'm thinking pragmatically.
    Considering it's a diesel I'll be saving money either way.
    I went to Edmunds.com and customer reviews have been very positive. I think I shall check one out at a dealership and get a full opinion of it.

I still plan on getting a motorcycle too.

17. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I think this is the kind of thing we need to start embracing. I know a company on Maui has been producing biodiesel for a few years and many of the local boat companies are using it. There are three advantages I can see, biodiesel is cleaner, less grease going into the landfill, and less use of fossil fuels. I think as far as not having any place to fill up, well, it seems to me that there are just about as many fast food places as gas stations around.

18. filmcutter macrumors member

I have a '01 Golf TDI and just last week started using B20 Biodiesel. (B20 is a 20% mixture of Biodiesel with 80% regular diesel)
    Upon filling a nearly empty tank, I immediately noticed a difference. The engine was quieter - less knocking, it seemed to run more smoothly, and after several days, it would appear that my mileage has increased slightly.

It's about $0.25 a gallon more expensive (and we have among the highest price right now in the country - $2.21 for "normal diesel" - but a whole heck-of-a-lot cheaper than the rest of the world), but that seems a fair price to help the environment, extend the life of my engine, and promote better technology.

I'm a convert to be sure, now if only we'd get B100.

Here's some more info: Albina Fuels and Biodiesel.org

And the VW TDIs are outstanding cars. VW just announced that they will be bringing the TDI to the Passat and the Touraeg later this year in the U.S.!

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

When I was working fast food retail, the people that would work the night shift are responsible for closing the restaurant for the night. The unfortunate one that would be working the grill would be responsible for emptying out the grease trap. In the dumpster area, there is a small metal container that gets all of the grease that has been collected over the few months, and it just positively reeks when you open it. Even in the dead of the night when its cold.

20. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

cars are horrible horrible things that kill the planet. take the bus or subway or walk.

I refuse to live in a dirty polluted world just because people are selfish and lazy.

21. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Don't kill yourself!!! We all value your contribution to this forum. :p You forgot to put ride a bike in your list. I think most people drive cars because there is no other alternative. Innovations like biodiesel are helping to make the world a little cleaner. Every little thing we can do helps.

22. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, considering that we modern humans are creatures of convenience, I must own a car.
    If I wanted to be ultra-environmentally friendly then I guess I'd own a horse. But that presents its own problem. Stables, feed, the mess in the streets when he does his business. Living in an Amish paradise I guess. That, or get a team of sled dogs and put wheels underneath it so I can mush in the streets. Imagine all the dog mess? People will start whining eventually.
    I am going to try and walk the talk and get a more environmentally, economically, friendly car.
    So far, the VW TDI fits the bill. Until we get that mythical fuel cell car.

23. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I think that we need to get the Arabs into the personal transportation industry. Imagine the speed and efficiency to be had once everyone has their own personal flying carpet. :eek: :p

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if i lived in a large city where buses are convenient i would consider that, but in my case no. Living out the city limits and even further from the main bus route of town, i have to take my good ol' Liberty into town. Plus I don't own the bus, so then I can't go have fun and get my car muddy.

iJon