SoCal fires

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rower_CPU, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We've got fires raging all over southern California right now.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/26/california.wildfire/index.html

There is a major one just north of where I am and people are being evacuated in areas pretty nearby. We're waiting to see if the Santa Ana winds blow it south, which is unlikely not impossible.

The dry conditions lately, plus the low humidity and high winds (gusts 20-60 mph) are making this into a huge disaster.

Here are some pictures I took this morning:
    http://organicallydigital.com/photos/fire/

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Hope this isn't too close to you, Rower. I'm gonna have to start making phone calls and check up on some friends down there.

Dan

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I hope it doesn't get much closer, too. ;)

I just went out to grap some more pictures, and you can see flames along both sides of I-15 up by the 52 freeway and Balboa Ave exits. I'll post some pics in a sec'...

edit - More pics. The ones with the flames in them were taken at a 10x zoom, only a couple miles up the freeway from my place...
    http://organicallydigital.com/photos/fire/

4. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, we're not evacuated yet, but the area just north of us has been.

Last I heard, over 100,000 acres have burned in San Diego county alone...

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    it's nasty here in l.a. also. the whole valley is pretty thick with smoke and when the wind kicks up you can smell the smoke from the distant fires. there is ash on everything. it seems like every year i watch the airtankers and helicopters make water-drops on the nearby hills...kind of a strange normalcy to it.

stay safe rower.

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

dude, rower, you OK man? I made a thread in community discussion asking if the SD people were ok, but no one responded. The fire is, as of now, moderately far away from my house, but its getting closer as the smoke and soot are getting thicker by the hour.

7. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, I think it's not going to get much south of Tierrasanta. I live right by Qualcomm stadium, so I was getting nervous there for a while...

The weird orange light is getting to me, though...so surreal.

Where are you at? Stay safe!

8. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

LA is surreal...

Yeah, I'm out here in the suburb of LA and the fire is about 10 miles away. The sky's got that eerie orange glow and there's ash and debris all over my truck.

I'm safe, but damn it's just weird.

Good luck down in SD, Rower. That blaze down there is really scary....

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i would start watering your house if you know what i mean.

10. jadariv macrumors regular

We have ash all over everything and the smoke smell is bad here in Long Beach. I can only imagine what it's like closer to the fire.

My friends up in Rancho Cucamonga were evacuated for a few hours yesterday. I hope it doesn't hit them, they just bought their house 3 months ago.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that everyone in the area will be safe. Nice pictures Rower_CPU, thank you for sharing. I also have a friend that lives in Rancho Cucamonga. Do you know how wide spread the danger happen to be in the area. My thoughts go out to everyone involved.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's freakin hot, unseasonably warm here in the San Luis Obispo area. I was just up in Big Sur camping, didn't even need the sleeping bags, the low last night was like 50 degrees. So very weird.

I've been under the orange sky before, its pretty but very disconcerting. Here's to low wind speeds, higher humidity, and lower temps over the next few days.

Time to inspect those fire barriers and overgrown plants by the house. And keep a hose handy.

13. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

ya, i live in orange county and they said if the riverside fires get worse and spread this way, they might have to evacuate us too...
    kinda like last year when i was living right next to the Glendora fires...i was going to school in Azusa, a city right next to it...we grabbed popcorn and sat in the parking lot and watched the flames...college kids, we're weird...
    hope all the SD guys are ok though...

14. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

With a name like pyroturtle, that doesnt sound all weird. Here's a picture I took on that way back from Vegas this weekend. It's off the 15 going south right past the exit for Wrightwood. They closed the freeway about 6 hours later.

Attached Files:

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Worrying about how hot our PowerBooks get doesn't seem quite so important now that homes in the counties adjoining Los Angeles County are threatened by all of these fires. Our area is safe, but I have ash all over my car.

16. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

The saddest part is they think that it's an pair of arsonist are behind several of the fires. Hundreds of thousands of lives changed for the worse because of a few individuals. I hope we catch them.

17. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

ya, i might be a pyro, but i like it contained...i do have my california pyrotechnics license now (does happy dance)
    but ya, my car is covered in ash and the world is perpetually grey and the sun is always red...it's kinda like it's snowing, mixed with fog...but it doesn't taste or smell good...
    and i agree, we need to get those arsonists...anoying people they are...
    1100 more houses were evacuated tonight...it's just getting bad, i can't remember the last time the fires were so bad

18. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, it's pretty sad to think people would start fires intentionally, but I doubt that they had something this big in mind.

The Cedar fire (100,000 acres and counting) down here apparently was started by a lost hunter's signal fire. :rolleyes:

19. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I am in San Clemente, halfway between LA and San Diego. We were watching the big pile of smoke from the fire at Camp Pendleton the other day...and then all those other fires crept up. This morning we had a few power outages, and then a house burned down pretty close were I live (not from the big fires though). Ashes are falling from the sky and as Rower mentioned the light is really weird, got this end of the world vibe... freaky stuff.

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

If any of you need to get out of there, and can grab a SouthWest flight to Birmingham, I will come pick you up and you can crash with me for a bit.

21. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thanks for the offer, but Southwest has suspended operations in/out of San Diego until further notice. :eek:

Hey, we can always hang out in the Pacific if it comes to it. ;)

22. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, thanks for the invite, Backtothemac. From what I know, alot of flights out of Ontario airport are also on hold. That and I gotta work all this week.

I'm in no real danger. It just sucks to breathe in L.A. (well, I guess that's kind of redundant....)

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A bunch of school districts have closed their schools, at least for tomorrow. If you live anywhere near a fire area, check yours before going to school.

24. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i watched my whole canyon burn today, from one side in the morning to the other side at night

i went riding around town and got very close to advancing flames in several parts of the city...what a sight

they evacuated us this morning, so i was kind of freaked out most of the day that my house was gone

my sister got pictures, but they are of the non-digital variety

25. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Apparently, Southwest has discontinued all flights in/out of all So. Cal. airports: LAX, ONT, SNA & SAN.

This is the worst I've seen since the '93 Laguna and Malibu fires...although when those communities were struck, the smoke went straight out to sea. Now, as most fires are farther inland, we've had smoke and haze from horizon to horizon and haven't seen a single blue patch of sky for three days.