Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I have no idea what to do. If only the damn school would fix the dryers in the laundry room (which are all broken) and my iBook's screen wasn't bent, I probably would have scored lower. I really need help.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 218

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Caleb, I'm so sorry that you're going through difficult times now. I know that anxiety can feel really crippling. Do you have access to therapy through your school or parents' insurance? What you describe is something you can DEFINITELY overcome with help in terms of things like coaching in how to catch and stop this pattern of thinking, and how to gain control over your body's experience of relaxation. In any event though, I hope that you are able to get help.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Maybe you just hate other people?

Thats why i scored high, i know i don't have anxiety i just hate people ^_^, a lot.

so i avoid everything out of not wanting to interact with people cause 99 times out of 100 i will think they are idiots and i will hate them. So i just don't care anymore and avoid it.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
eva01 said:

Thats why i scored high, i know i don't have anxiety i just hate people ^_^, a lot.

so i avoid everything out of not wanting to interact with people cause 99 times out of 100 i will think they are idiots and i will hate them. So i just don't care anymore and avoid it.

I think I'm the same way.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Anxiety issues can be bad. i know its a hard thing to deal with. i have friends who suffer from panic attacks and the like. its not easy to live with, but there comes a time where you just have to face your fears and move on. yes i know it sounds easier than its done, and its easy to say and all that. but int he end its the simpilest answer. i hope things improve for you.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
eva01 said:

Are you the same one that wants to become a giving, helping, empathetic member of society (doctor)? :confused: :p Just picturing some good SNL/scrubs/house skits :D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
getting help early is key while you can admit to it

i have a friend with asperger's, who is even aware of others with it, but being older now, he is either unwilling or feels unable to deal with it

it can affect relationships and progress at work and doing and being what you really want in life and it has turned my friend into a ball of regret

don't let your anxiety issue make you choose or not choose the right mate, school, job, hobbies, etc

anyway, good luck and keep us posted

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Be glad that you have to go out and deal with things. I've had weeks where I hadn't left the house for 6-7 days at a time, not even to get retrieve something from the mailbox.

I definitely suggest seeking treatment for anyone with even moderate anxiety and the various anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds may not be perfect but they may lower the anxiety enough that you can get things done.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I just scored a 102. I feel your pain. I have no idea how old you are, but take it from me, this stuff will not go away on its own. It only gets worse and worse unless you work against it every day. And that has proven too hard for me to this point.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Thanks everyone for the responses, at least it isn't just me. I do intend to get help for it, but I'm at school - some 600 miles from home - so that's hard to do right now.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
neocell said:
Are you the same one that wants to become a giving, helping, empathetic member of society (doctor)? :confused: :p Just picturing some good SNL/scrubs/house skits :D

Going to become a pathologist. Doesn't matter if i hate the dead :p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
calebjohnston said:
Thanks everyone for the responses, at least it isn't just me. I do intend to get help for it, but I'm at school - some 600 miles from home - so that's hard to do right now.

and i'm sure that doesn't help things either. but as long as you remember that its your life and to not let yourself be ruled by your fears it should help a small bit. and again i wish you the best in all of this.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I don't even want to know how poorly I'd score.

I recently got into the Real Estate business and my anxieties are crippling my growth and prosperity. I'm frightened of cold calling and door knocking, for instance. Everyone tells me, don't be afraid to hear "no", but I'm afraid to hear "yes" because that would mean being the center of attention for up to an hour in a relatively high pressure situation, not to mention speaking in front of a couple or an entire family.

We have weekly sales meetings (which I attend of my own free will, they are not mandatory). We go around the room, to each person one at a time, and each will let the rest of us know of any new listings or buyers they have recently acquired. Because of the way my heart races (it scares me sometimes it beats so violently) when my turn is coming up, I know that even if I did have something to share, I would not be able to speak or even move to let the group know. This makes me even more fearful of doing business with anyone.

In other words, I can relate to the anxiety in this sense. I am currently looking into public speaking classes because I think they target the core of my fears and help me overcome them.

I can tell you that avoiding the situations that frighten you the most only makes things worse over time. I spent all of junior high avoiding speeches in front of the class and most-all social events, then halfway through high school I was unable to avoid speaking in front of the class... let's just say I was excellent for the first - oh - 12 seconds? After I was no longer coherent, I basically had a nervous breakdown which involved a lot of crying and, for lack of a better word, hyperventilating. Very embarrassing. My social status - or lack thereof - at school made it easy to get over the event, but I had definitely taken a drastic step away from overcoming this fear.

</ramble> :D

Anyone know of a good public speaking course in mid-Michigan?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
calebjohnston said:

Are you at a private high school, or at a college or university? Many / most universities have counseling centers that should be able to provide you with the right kind of help.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Your score:
24 (fear) + 27 (avoidance) = 51

Hmmm. Ish.

Caleb - I'm sorry for you - hang in there.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Your score:
4 (fear) + 4 (avoidance) = 8

:eek:

I feel like I was pretty honest about everything. I quite like doing a lot of those things mentioned. :eek:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i got a 16, but on most of the ones where i put a 3 i would have put a 9 or 10 if that was an option :eek:
i'm not really anxious or anything, just very shy...:eek:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
21, the time i really fessed up to my fears:rolleyes:

Hang in there buddy!

(all my fears are pretty big, but there are less, on that test it was mostly 3+2 and a few 1)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
31 here. Which is a tremendous improvement for me, I used to have social anxiety. I basically conquered it on my own, after refusing medication, and having several ineffective counseling sessions. I just told myself "snap out of it" and said it enough where I started to actually "snap" out of it. Not recommending that you try it though, it took me almost three years to accomplish this.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I'm sorry to hear that caleb.

I hope things are going to look a little brighter in your future.

Try to get out a little more start interacting with people. I know it's easy for me to say, but you have to get out otherwise it is just going to get worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.