social bookmarking..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by asif786, Jul 25, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey,

is anyone here using any of the social bookmarking sites right now? sites like del.icio.us or furl or anything else?

for me, safari's bookmarking is incredibly inadequate [firefox is better, but hey] and i was just wondering how popular this social bookmarking fad is..

i would imagine it would be fairly popular with us mac people..just because it seems to fit quite well [great technology, productive + useful].

anyway, was just wondering what you guys think of the whole thing..and if you use it, which particular site do you use?

i'm trying incredibly hard to adjust to hitting the del.icio.us button now instead of just dragging links.. :rolleyes:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have a personal site with a links page . It has all my most used sites on it (even though many of them are easy to remember). All my browsers on all my computers have that page set as my homepage. It makes my bookmarks very portable. My lesser used or temporary bookmarks are stored in Safari.

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I started using del.icio.us some time ago because I wanted to have a consistent set of bookmarks between home and the office. I'm not all that interested in the "social" aspect of it, although I'll occasionally browse around to see what links other people are putting under the same tags.

4. matthewamzn macrumors member

I've been using furl for a while. I like that it saves a full text copy of the webpages. It can even save email messages and other password protected webpages. It also allows you to make your bookmarks private, which is a big reason why I don't use del.icio.us.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

del.icio.us/greatdevourer

Currently empty due to being so full of so much crap that I binned it all

6. Project macrumors 68020

I love del.icio.us

Hopefully Yahoo dont mess it up though with their ads and stuff.

While my main reason for using it is to keep a constant set of bookmarks available

Interesting somebody brought up Safari though. The whole aspect of bookmarking in a browser is way out of date. Apple could jump the gun here by implementing a lot of delicious/furl/spurls features. Tagging in particular, especially with spotlight. Let me see what other Safari users have if I click this tag for instance. And finally have your syncing via .Mac as usual and you have a winner.