Society's firm and ever-present Cap on our Expression

Discussion in 'Community' started by igucl, Sep 25, 2005.

1. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I was lazily browsing through the sale flyers of my Sunday paper when a thought (the merit of which I'll leave for you to decide) occurred to me:

There is now heavy marketing of the fall fashions, which, as always, include sweaters. Now, these sweaters are quite colorful and come in a seemingly infinite array of patterns. As I surveyed the dizzying displays, I noted that it is widely accepted in many contexts of life to decorate one's torso with a colorfully patterned shirt, no matter the season. On the other hand, if one were to attempt wearing similarly expressive attire on his lower half, he would be mistaken for an out-of-touch golfer (or trendsetting one, depending on your perspective), a professional clown, perhaps, or someone who forgot to change out of his pajamas. Why is this? I do not believe that there is anything inherent in pants or the wearing of pants that would require them to stay below a specified level of colorfulness. How did it come about that we accept a colorful torso without question but have strong suspicions about the mental stability of one who wears expressive pants?

Just wondering what you all thought about that. Some may say that the combination of wild shirts with pants is too much, and I agree, but I ask why not have a plain shirt and wild pants? Why hasn't this reverse taken root instead of the norm? :confused:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Specifically, you mean men's trousers.

Perhaps it's to do with the way men's clothing in Western society has adapted through the years as responses to their occupations, especially since the Industrial Revolution. Hard-wearing and inexpensive textiles for manual workers, expensive but muted colours for those in non-manual trades... combined with the general expense of decorative fabrics.

But I'm just wildly speculating here...

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Victoria & Albert Museum here in London where they have many collections of historical clothing from throughout the world — many non-western cultures were far more flamboyant in their male attire, particularly cultures from the Orient.

But now the suit has become the international masculine garb of politics, trade and commerce. Take one look at those staged photos of the leaders at the G8 or any other international gathering — it's rare to see leaders in traditional and local dress.

My random thoughts, anyway.

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

4. igucl thread starter macrumors 6502a

igucl

They do look bad, don't they? But is that because we're trained to perceive them that way?

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

No... I'm pretty sure they just look bad... :p :D

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What? You don't like these?

:D

[​IMG]

7. igucl thread starter macrumors 6502a

igucl

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Either link to one on the web placing the URL within the [​IMG] tags (check the little yellow box above the reply field) or...

When posting a reply, use the 'Manage Attachments' function where it says 'Additional Options' just below the reply field — you can upload a picture from your computer this way.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And don't go for those matching shirt and pants outfits - that might even be worse....but part of your observation might have something with the fact that fashion seems to want to stress the face and not the lower half. It might be a double standard since there are plenty of flashy womens' pants and such.....

D

10. igucl thread starter macrumors 6502a

igucl

OK. Thank you, Blue, for the tip. I just wanted to try it:

Attached Files: