Socket 5 For 603e??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Tech^salvager, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

Ok a person I'm chatting with has this to say cause I'm arguing about it.

"I'm having thise huge argument on irc over an old Apple clone; the Umax c600/180. This machine has a PPC 603E 180mhz processor.

The guy claims it uses a socket 5 (Intel/AMD) socket. The socket 5 was used for the first mainstream line of Pentium processors.

Now, there is no reference at all to the socket5 ever being used in any PPC machine anywhere, however, he claims he is right because he know he is. Weird logic, I know, but hey.

I hope anyone here can help clear that ridicoulous idea off of the world.
    "

ok I'm the guy claming about the soket 5 thing hes aganist it. Also I have this to put in

Quote:
    "Now, there is no reference at all to the socket5 ever being used in any PPC machine anywhere, however, he claims he is right because he know he is. Weird logic, I know, but hey."

I claim I'm right because I have the Umax infront of me taken apart from all the picture taking and repair I had to do on it. Yes Yes in the end its all a big meaningless argument. I'll gladly awnser any questions anyone has.

So anyone have knowledge about this or am I likely the only few that do? I can't change his mind maybe you can help me!
    Thanks for the help
    Tech^

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

http://everymac.com/systems/umax/c600/supermac_c600_180.html

Uses a 603e Socket Card, I'm not sure if this is in anyway related to the Socket 5. Now, it might be the same size and same number of pins, but the pin output might be different, so they are not the same sockets. Tell me, have you put a intel chip in your computer to make sure that it was a Socket 5, that is if you are claiming it is. If not, you can't claim this.

3. Tech^salvager thread starter macrumors regular

Its a socket 5, yes I have put a intel pentium 120mhz chip into it also I even stuck the PPC into my x86 socket 5 mobo. It even says socket 5 on the socket that my cpu goes into in my Umax.

4. Thom Holwerda macrumors newbie

Mmm, on the irc convo you never said that. Please be so kind to make a picture of your socket saying "Socket 5".

5. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

The Socket n things are specifications for Intel processors. These specs include number of pins and the physical socket as well as voltage and which pin carries which signal.

Needless to say, the PowerPC is a completely different chip, with completely different signals. However, it's perfectly possible that the physical socket is the same. The physical specification is not exclusively used by the Socket 5 specification for Pentium chips.

Physical socket specifications and Intel Pentium sockets are different things.

No wonder you can put a Pentium in your UMAX and the other way around. However, switching on such a set up would not be wise because it can ruin your processor.

That the chip socket says "Socket 5" is probably because most chip sockets with this physical specification were used for Socket 5 motherboards. Therefore the chip socket manufacturer decided to print this on the plastic. Big deal. If I'm not mistaken, my B&W G3 also had a "Socket 5".

6. Tech^salvager thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you MacNeXT. I apperciate it.

7. Thom Holwerda macrumors newbie

So, a socket 5 layout, but obviously a completely different socket. As I was saying...

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've got an old Pentium MMX that fits into the Socket A that my Athlon 2500+ goes into. It fits. Didn't turn it on... that might be bad if you know what I mean.