socket A heatsink on a blue&white?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/silvermountain.jpg

any chance of this fitting on a blue&white g3 with a bit of modification?

the clips look similer the the original and i already choped that bit of metal that gets in the way because i mounted a 60mm fan

also dose anyone know if the 600MHz owc g4 comes with a heatsink or reuses one?

2. Miner Willy macrumors regular

Silver Mountain Fan

:eek:

It should fit fine wilt a bit of cali-fudging. My question would be why? If you are trying to overclock it choose anyother fan. Yes it's made of pur copper and silver plated but it has a delta fan on it that has is about 5000rpm. It's as loud as a wailing banshee. If you thought the mirrored door G4s wer loud the just pug one of these puppies in. I had one in my PC for about a week I couldn''t hear myself think let alone speakover it. G3 chips don't get too hot choose a quieter fan... :eek:

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

thanks for the reply

i'm not going to be using that fan i'm just wandering about the heatsink i was planning on using it on a 600MHz g4 with one of my spare 60mm fans

4. Miner Willy macrumors regular

Heat sink concerns

The silver mountain is one of the best heatsinks out there and I really don't think there will be any issues with a 600mhz processor.

I had a problem with a 1.4gig Athlon and stuck one of these on with some decent thermal paste and it dropped the temp by nearly 20 degrees.

These are my own experiences and I have only ever overclocked my B&W G3 300mhz to 350mhz and it worked a treat. In fact an ex-student of mine is running os X on it and happily video editing on it, albeit a bit slowly

:)