Sof 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by markjones05, Jan 24, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Alright i'm a new mac user, I just bought a powermac g4 dual 1 gig processor with 512 mb ram, mainly for video editing purposes. I have no complaints when it comes to running my editing software, however I just got soldier of fortune 2 for the mac and it quits practically everytime I start up a game. And when it doesn't quit it is choppy as hell. I have the NVIDIA geforce 4 titanium graphics card so i don't understand why the crappy gameplay. If anyone knows how I can fix this or any information on it at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

go to

www.macgamefiles.com

Look for the newest update....also you can try the forums at www.insidemacgames.com

The forums there always have great tips and tricks to get good performance....i believe the newest patch will help your game play....plus some tweaks on the forums there should help you out.

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Thank you those links have been very useful. I have fixed the problem of it crashing, but the game itself still runs choppy. Is there a way to increase the fps? Its is also hard to aim directly at a target. The mouse jumps from the right to the left of the target without actually aiming at where i want it to go. Does anyone know why this is occurring.

4. fudgebrown macrumors newbie

Are you talking mainly about the Multiplayer? What about the Single player. The multiplayer side of SOF2 can take advantage of your dual processors. Just open the console and type r_smp 1

Also you can raise the hunkmegs, which is the amount of ram is allocated to SOF2. You can give it up to 2/3 of your system ram. So if you have 512mb of ram you can give it 340mb. Some people realitically play it fine with 1/2 your system ram, just depends on how much ram you have. To do this, type in the console - com_hunkMegs 340 or whatever value of ram you want to give it. This is only for mulitplayer. To open console, hold shift and hit the "~" key. Also set your resolution to match your monitor. It actually works harder at lower resolutions! With your setup, you can really crank up the settings. I have a dual 500 G4, with a geforce 4 ti, and the Multiplayer flies, this is with the latest patch by the way. The single player is sluggish, since it's not using dual cpus.

5. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I havnt even touched multiplayer yet. There is no point in embarrasing myslef in front of others due to the fact that I cant get this game running properly in single player first. Will thos console commands work in single player? If not are there different ones?

6. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Played this last night with a buddy--on his new Dell box. KILLER performance. I'd LOVE to buy it, but if you guys are saying it's gonna play like crap on my 'old' Quicksilver 933Mhz, then I'll pass on the purchase.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

mm

7. Draft macrumors 6502

One thing that sucks about SOF2 is the updates are few and far between. I downloaded the 1.02 public beta update right when it came out. It was great. I could play on PC servers with other PC SOF2 players. About a month ago, they released another update to the PC version, SOF2 gold, version 1.03. This again renders SOF2 for the Mac unusable on PC servers.

I'm completely unsatisfied with the macplay support for this game, which is a shame because SOF2 is an excellent multiplayer experience.

Does anyone know if macplay is working on an update to SOF2?

Draft

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

SOF2 is a macplay game so i would contact their support and see what they say. Hey if nothing seems to work i would give it back and look into Medal of Honor and or Return to Castle wofenstein. Both are great games with RTCW having the better multiplayer in my opionion. Your system should have plenty of juice for this so i would guess settings software issue and also see if the game is designed for whatever OSX....... you are using. sometimes these games dont know how to deal with the latest greatest OS. If you like 1st person shooters be sure to check out the 2 i just mentioned. Also just went to their site seems the are beta testing a 1.02 version and reading the inside mac games review from readers that a lot of people had similiar problems with the game choosing settings that just were not correct so i would go in there and look at your options and start playing with settings but you should have plenty of hardware!in fact a guy on a 867 had about the same as you went in there and turned up things and then it was fine.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

SOF2 is a macplay game so i would contact their support and see what they say. Hey if nothing seems to work i would give it back and look into Medal of Honor and or Return to Castle wofenstein. Both are great games with RTCW having the better multiplayer in my opionion. Your system should have plenty of juice for this so i would guess settings software issue and also see if the game is designed for whatever OSX....... you are using. sometimes these games dont know how to deal with the latest greatest OS. If you like 1st person shooters be sure to check out the 2 i just mentioned.

10. couch potato macrumors regular

I'm not suprised if a lot of people hate me for saying this, but Mac OSX uexpectedly quits a lot of apps. Quit mohaa for me, and always quits the DvD player. im running 10.2.3 too:eek:

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

where did you get v 1.02? i go to the support page for sof 2 at macplay's site and i don't see it... am i missing something?

i currently am getting TERRIBLE performance, though apparently it gets better after the first level? i'm not sure i can make it through it though... hmm

12. Draft macrumors 6502

Here's a little snippet from the SOF2 support page. It seems that there's a problem with NVIDIA drivers with SOF2.

Q: I have a NVIDIA GeForce 4 and it runs uncomfortably slow in OS 10.2 (Jaguar). What can I do to make the game run faster?

A: Launch Soldier of Fortune 2. When you arrive at the main menu, select the Options menu. Once in the Options menu, go to the top of the screen and select Video Settings (represented by an icon that looks like a T.V.). Now look at the middle of the screen and you will see Video System Settings. Below this, you will see several options including Texture Quality. Click on Texture Quality until it reads High. Now, scroll down the menu and click Apply Settings. Your settings have now been adjusted and should see improvement in gameplay.

http://www.macplay.com/support/sof2.shtml

Draft

13. Draft macrumors 6502

You can get the public beta here:

http://www.macplay.com/downloads/beta/SOFII_1.0.2_Public_Beta.dmg.sit

To get this link, I had to email someone at macplay. Also, this will probably not improve performance in single player. Much of what they worked on for this release was multiplayer support. To improve performance in single player, read the previous post.

Draft