SOF multiplayer questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by markjones05, Apr 17, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have a dual 1ghz G4 powerpc with 512 ram and an 80gig HD. Why the hell does my game run sooo choppy in multiplayer. Also does anyone know why while im playing after i stop pushing foward i continue to run foward untill i push backwards? My key isnt sticking. I dont get it. I love the game but i would really love to get rid of all these small annoying glitches. I used to play counterstrike constantly on my old pc and there were all sorts of wierd glitches like this on that game too but there were always solutions to them or commands you could type in the console to fix the problem does anyone know anything about this? Any help would be appreciated.

ithankyou,

jones

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Simple

The port of the game sucks.

This is why I built a gaming PC. This thing whoops ass for all games I have tested. Pumps out OVER 300 FPS in Quake III!

Unreal 2003 gets about 150fps.

I havent tried SOF II, but I have heard it runs really good on the PC.

So, the game runs like crap because the developers ported it like crap.

If you are serious about gaming, get a pc. You will be MORE than happy.

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Re: Simple

hehe... yea thanx but i kinda had to sell my pc to get my mac, sooooo i was kinda trying to optimize the gaming pperformance on that.....
    thanx

4. Draft macrumors 6502

I'm guessing that you have an nVidia graphics card. Try turning your "Texture Quality" down a notch or two. It worked for me. Also, make sure to update to the latest patch, v1.03.

Let me know what happens.

Draft

5. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

yea i do have an nvidia, ill try that thanx.

6. ChoMomma macrumors 6502

ChoMomma

Must be the video card. I play on my Powerbook Ti800 and it runs fine even with the limited ATI gfx on it.

My G4 733 plays it OK (lack of L3 cache) but I put a Radeon 8500 in that so it's picking up the slack for the CPU.

7. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Should i get a new video card? Would this solve my problems? I also do alot of editing work; would a better video card be advantageous for that? I was under the impression that the nvidia geforce4 titanium was on of the best graphics cards. Am I wrong?

8. Draft macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get a new video card. Yes, the GF4 TI is the best video card out for the mac right now. It just doesn't play nicely with SOF2. Try turning your Texture Quality down and see what happens. It fixed my problems.

9. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

i tried it it really doesnt do anything besides make the graphics worse. i mean its still playable... its just not smooth, not the kind of gameplay im excpecting from a state of the art machine and or game. Does anyone know how to check my frames per second and or up the fps?

10. Draft macrumors 6502

Check out the support page on Macplay's website:

http://www.macplay.com/support/sof2.php

Make sure to check the tweaking guide, the link is at the top of the page.

As for checking the fps, it's the same as in Q3, but I'm not sure what that is. Any help?

Draft

11. Draft macrumors 6502

I think the command for checking FPS in Q3 and SOF:2 is:

/cg_draw FPS

Don't quote me though.

Draft

12. void macrumors 6502

The reason you keep moving forward is because you have numlock on(above the 7 on the numpad)

13. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Nah.

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

One reason for the game to be choppy in multiplayer mode could be that your ping rate is quite high.

There are a few sites that can check your ping rate - someone around here might be able to direct you, but the only one I can think of currently is www.adslguide.org - a UK site with a few links...

Or even try www.xlr8yourmac.com

Another reason could be that SOMEONE ELSE'S ping rate is high, and is bringing down the speed of the gameplay.

Or maybe, your game server's speed is too slow, giving a high ping. Go through Gameranger to get a decent server, and select a server with a SMALL amount of people in it to test the theory. If you're on a game with 20 or so people, you'd expect it to be bad....

As for the graphics card, try dropping the resolution down to 1024x768, or even 800x600. If you want to stay on a higher resolution, drop the colours down to 16 bit rather than 32 bit. Also, drop the quality of the SOUND down as well - it all helps the gaming experience...

(Someone told me once that removing your USB speakers increases gameplay by up to 50%!!!! Invest in headphones, and frag away....)

:cool: