Soft drink is purified tap water

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Mar 19, 2004.

1. macrumors P6

wdlove

Soft drink giant Coca-Cola has admitted it is selling purified tap water in a bottle.

It says the source for its new Dasani bottled water is the mains supply at its factory in Kent.

The company says Dasani is "as pure as bottled water gets" due to a "highly sophisticated purification process".

But the UK water industry is worried that the marketing of the product implies tap water is impure, which experts say is not the case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3523303.stm

2. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Of course tap water is impure ("pure" = 100% H20, 0% anything else). But that doesn't mean it's unsafe.

I think the water industry is overreacting. If Coke had said Dasani is "as safe as bottled water gets", then they'd have something to gripe about...

3. macrumors 68040

jxyama

it is borderline deceiving, but i remember looking at a bottle of dasani and basically thinking that it's not spring water - that it's purified water. so i kinda figured the source could be anything.

so it's not all that surprising, i guess. it is, however, a big deal for them to have to publically equate that dasani source is tap water...

4. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, read about this last week. Cheeky f**ks! Selling us back our own water from a tap in Kent for 95p a bloody bottle!!!!!!!

5. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Especially because it was just yanked in the UK for containing a carcinogen (which came in from the tap.)

http://www.thisislondon.com/til/jsp/modules/Article/print.jsp?itemId=9740821

There is no advantage to bottled water over tap water, unless you listen to Art Bell and are a member of the John Birch society and believe that fluorine is added to the water to pollute our essence.

They used to sell bottled NYC tap water under the brand "Big Apple Juice". It sold well.(no pun intented).

edit: spelling

6. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.

It made me laugh.

When a company as big as Coke doesn't spend enough money or time on research.

Imbeciles.

7. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Nothing new really. Bottled water is truly a ripoff, whether purified & healthy or not.

8. macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

it's not as bad as it could be. i used to live in Buffalo, where the water comes from Lake Erie. it doesn't matter how much filtering it goes through before it hits your tap; up there, the water always tastes... a little off. especially during the summer, when the heat & the sun put a nice algae bloom on the lake.

9. thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

They found a niche and exploited the need. I first heard about this on the radio this morning. They said that in the US Dasani uses spring H20 from an area that is known to be the freshest in North America. I just wonder why they didn't do the same thing in Europe.

10. macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Don't blame Coke.

It's what you guys get for paying for water anyways. :rolleyes:

11. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

They process whatever they start with anyway, so I guess it's pure marketing that they say they get it from the "freshest" source in North America. Not that it isn't all pure marketing anyway...

I wonder how they determine "freshest". Is there some natural site that recombines hydrogen and oxygen in quantity? :)

12. macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's not like you're the first guys to do that. There's a company that bottles Houston tap water and the sells it, but I don't recall if they filter it any more before bottling.

I know what you mean. The water in my town always has a faint taste and odor to it. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it's annoying and tastes like crap. So for drinking it's Brita and Poland Springs. Tap water has been relegated to filling the Brita, cooking, and cleaning people/clothes/dishes.

13. macrumors 603

Yeah, my tap water tastes a bit funny, but a Brita or Pur filter takes care of that, and feels a whole lot less stupid than paying a company to run the same water through pretty much the same filter and put it in a plastic bottle.

The funny thing is, if you go into a supermarket (Safeway, where I live), and go to the bulk water section, you've got two choices: Spring water, and "Drinking water (from a municipal source)". Both are $1 a gallon, but if you buy the one with the red label, you've just paid $1 for a gallon of tap water in a 5 cent plastic milk jug. Go, brainac.

14. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's NOT Soda.

What some people will do to get away from chlorinated/florinated water.

There's quite a few Water/Ice shops around AZ that do the filtering/dechlorinating for you, but the problem with this -- people don't take the time to sterilize the water jugs, and they keep them in their AZ garages, so the water in these jugs is generally worse than tap water (aka warm/dechlorinated water + unsterilized jugs).

The filtration systems and softeners are fine, when they're maintained.

So bottled water is generally easier for the terminally lazy, if not slightly healthier than water stations and ill-maintained filtration/softner systems.

15. macrumors 68030

cr2sh

As someone who spends 3weeks a month on the road working.. I'll tell you, I'd be miserable without "paying for water." A lot of the water, in a lot of the cities I visit, tastes horrible. I have no problem paying $1 for water that tastes good and is safe.

Ever drink the water out of a hotel bathroom sink? Its disgusting, that's no way to live.

16. macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Just to clarify, the carcinogen wasn't from the original tap water, it was caused from part of the production process

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3550063.stm

I hope they don't bother putting it back on sale, I have no idea who will buy it now, first they admit its just tap water, and then they have to recall it because its breaches regulations!

And from the poster who asked why they don't use spring water for the product in Europe...well they do, just not in the UK! Whether that is an indication of the quality of our tap water, or just an attempt to screw us over I'm not sure!

If I do drink bottled water I tend to go for Volvic or Evian anyway.

17. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I used to live in Pittsburgh. The stuff comes out of the Mon...

18. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's kind of funny, calcium bromate is still used in some commercial baking in the US, I think an incident like this one would only be reportable in California.

19. macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Heh, this confused me for a second at first. Here in Washington (state) we have a city called Kent as well, so my first thought was, why in the world would they use a factory in Kent, they don't have factories in Kent, besides we have the Cascade Mountains right here with glacier fresh spring water...oh wait...BBC...original Kent...heh. Of course whenever I hear Arlington I think of the small town north of where I live, THEN the city over in Virginia. Well atleast when i hear Seattle I know thats us!

20. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

i hear ya. tap water isn't that nice in my opinion. where i used to live in england, the tap water is sooo chalky, and here in nyc, well, it scares me the amount of rusty cruddy piping it has to go through. i buy bottled water all the time, it does confuse me though how they sell a half gallon bottle for $1.29 and a gallon bottle for $1.49. still can't work that one out. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

AquaFina is Pepsi's tap water. They say it is from a PWS #4453456 or something like that which simply means public water source...look on dasani, and I guarantee you it will say the source but will be letters.

22. macrumors regular

thats the lake that caught on fire from all the **** floating around in it right?

serves anyone who buys bottled water right, dumb bastards. water is water is water, the source you get it from affects the taste due to mineral deposits (which are actually good for you in some cases) plus the fact that America adds flouride to it's water sources or we'd all have rotting teeth from Coca Cola's other products (mmm fizzy death, but i love it).

23. macrumors regular

I guess they should change their names to "Tapsani" and "Tapquafina" then

24. macrumors 6502a

Do you guys know that the brand 'Evian' is 'naive' spelled backwards?

25. macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i guess they figured it sounded better than "elbillug."