Soft partitioning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tyr, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Tyr macrumors newbie

Tyr

Are that any freeware/donation-ware/shareware programs that would allow my to soft partition my hard drive? Right now i'm running 10.4.2 on a 1.25Ghz Mini

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

(caugh, caugh)
    Come again.

What is a soft partition? :confused:

3. Tyr thread starter macrumors newbie

Tyr

a soft partition would allow me to break up my HD into smaller chunks (same as partitioning would) except i wouldn't have to wipe my current drive to do it. It would allow me to open a program and say, "hey i want to reallocate 30 gigs to be seen as another Hard Drive", the way you do it through Disk Utility requires you to erase your hard drive before you can partition it.

4. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

As far as I know, there's no way to partition your hard drive without wiping it...and even if there was, I think it would cause a lot of problems. A possible solution may be to create a RAM disk (here's one possible program) which uses part of your RAM as a "hard disk," but information stored there is lost after restarting.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

These guys claim to have a solution, but it's not freeware, it's $44.95.

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php

B

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If you're not planning to boot from it, you can just make a large disk image. Why do you need another partition?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Depends on why you want to do this, but can't you use Disk Utilitiy to create a 30 G DMG file for you that will then be seen as a separate drive when mounted?

Kind of the way that several older try linux on windows distros did. They created a ext2fs disk image on your FAT32 drive which became your root partition when booted into linux. Also the same way you can mount ISO images and have them be seen as a virtual CD.

Of course the why comes in, since you probably can't use this method if you want to use the ew partiiton to boot an alternative OS. And you would probably take a slight performance hit vs. a real partition. But if all you want is to segregate some data into a sandbox, it should work...

EDIT: Heb, you beat me to it and much more succinctly. ;)

B