Software alternative to Adobe Indesign?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Alorain, Apr 5, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2007
    Hello folks, I was wondering in all my ignorance, if there was another program available for mac that preformed a similar function to that of Adobe Indesign CS3? I have heard of a program called Swift Publisher, but that does not seem to suit my needs fully. Pages also seems to be a tad too simple for what I intend it to be. So, to restate, is there a program which performs a similar function to that of Adobe Indesign? THanks!
  2. macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    To get that level of power, InDesign or Quark (ugh!) is the only real choice. However, if your needs aren't for the full-on pro dtp, but just something that does enough for simple newsletters and average small office/home use then there's a few alternatives - take a look at:

Multiad Creator Desktop - this is a cut-down version of a full-on pro application, and amazing value for money.

Stone Design Create - this is one of those apps that tries to do everything - vector illustration, dtp and web design. Some people swear by it.

iCalamus - descended from an early DTP app for the Amiga and Atari ST. I used it way back when on the Atari, but haven't tried it lately.

Scribus - Open source and therefore free. Powerful, but with some significant gotchas - it's dependent on XWindows and there's only PPC Mac binaries available at present. Worth a look if money is really tight, but otherwise I'd skip it.

There are a handful of others too - most notable of the rest is ReadySetGo, which is a real old-time Mac DTP, but it's starting to look a tad expensive. Personally (and as an Indesign CS3 user), if I was going to go for any of the above, it would be Multiad Creator Desktop - not least because there's an easy upgrade path to the full version (which is an excellent piece of software) should it be needed. A close second would be Stone's Create, which takes a bit of getting used to, but works well. If you're likely to need Illustrator-like functions as well, Create makes a lot of sense.

Hope this helps!
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2007
    Thanks! That was really helpful. I agree with your opinion on Quark.... UGH^6
  4. macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Having found this link via google, I would like to add that Scribus is now a universal binary.:)
  5. macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2007
    I am a fan of Pagestream, which I have used for years. Just this week I purchased and downloaded the version for OS X. Although this version is currently beta, my frustration in trying lesser substitutes drove me to taking a chance on it. So far, I am delighted with it.