Software and Politics...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jul 5, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Excerpt from NYT article...

While I was hoping that there would be some mention of Apple/OSX...I still found this to be an interesting read about something I haven't really thought much about.

Not really sure if this counts as important news stuff, but I figured I'd venture a post and see what you all had to say (or not)...

Here is the link: (yes, you will probably have to register)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/05/t...e0ce687f047&ei=5053&partner=NYTHEADLINES_TECH

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

being in the techie field...first on the business side of things (dot.com in san jose, ca) and then later as a more modest microsoft techie after the high tech crash, i can tell you the uncle bill owns both major parties

any major move against him can make him pack up and move just up the road a bit in vancouver, bc...and nobody would like to see a lot of american jobs take off up north

it's already hard for those in so. cal when a lot of major movie making went to toronto, vancouver, and montreal...any wishful thinking of the canadians dropping the ball just did not happen and many studios/hands are there to stay...and as long as the canadians produce high quality cinema at lower prices, there will undoubtedly be a brain drain out of hollywood

3. acdninjapan macrumors newbie

acdninjapan

You really think bill would do that? The taxes, rules and regulations in BC would kill him.

Fish....More than just sushi
    Ed in Japan

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i would move rather than be split in two

and yes, i am sure canadian politicians can be bought, too ;)

5. acdninjapan macrumors newbie

acdninjapan

Of course they can be. remember we had a former PM who was a motorcycle gang member-he even admitted it... And yes, if the EE were to move down North I'm sure the politians could find something to do with all the tax revenues. It could start a general trend with all the Seattle based companies picking up and moving north.

BTW I like your bona fides. We could use you here in Tokyo.

Ed in Japan
    Fish....More than just sushi