software-base digital instrument.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pnz999, Jan 30, 2003.

1. pnz999 macrumors member

I think that Pro Tools and Reason are mostly use for compiling and editing sound files.

I am just wondering if there are any software-base digital instrument like a virtually drum machine or guitar.

Because instead of investing in actually real instrument like a Korg or a Roland instrument rather I will just buy software (hopefully save money that way)

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

reason has extensive midi capabilities for creating your own digital music. i've used some of the early betas of doggiebox (a new one was just released today on versiontracker) and it is a very impressive osx native drum machine (and the price is discounted during the beta cycle if you like it enough). i think reason is geared more toward the electronic music than anything else, but i would suggest checking it out further as it may be what you want in terms of a digital instrument bank.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Reason 2 has no audio editing or recording function either, to add to what fattymembrane said...

Reasons sole purpose is to be a combined Midi sequencer and sound generating system, you have analog and digial synths, a sampler (well, 2 actually), a drum machine, REX based loop players (REX files from the reCycle application) as well as mixers and individually patchable FX.

If you want an all in one package that's fairly cheap (note I managed not to say reasonably cheap...) its a winner. Slightly further upmarket, Logic incorporates a range of synth modules and the best software sampler avaliable in the ESX24 sampler, as well as pro sequencing and recording mixing capabilities.

4. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

or you could try something like sibelius?

it is a score based program. really good with a full range of midi instruments. can use a keyboard (as in qwerty) or a mouse or a MIDI controller/keyboard (as in CDEFGA).

but it is dependent on how much detail you want to go into to.

and how much debt.