software boxes... keep or delete

Discussion in 'Community' started by zim, Apr 1, 2005.

1. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I am in the process of moving from my current location and have come across a pile of old software boxes. I think I will keep the OS X boxes and OS 9 box but not sure about the others.

So what do you do...
    Do you keep your boxes or do you trash them?
    If you keep them where and how do you store them?
    If you keep them, why are you keeping them?

For me, up to this point, the boxes have been a representation of money past spent. Some of them, like the OS boxes, have collectable qualities that I would like to preserve (my wife informs me that I could not be more of a dork for having just said that). Now that I am moving I find boxes like Studio MX04 to be an annoyance, reminding me that there was just a CD in there and how wasteful packaging can be.... but back to the question, what do you do?
  2. tobio macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    I go for trash them. I tend to keep hardware boxes for a month or so "just in case" it needs to go back. After that you need to be ruthless and destroy these things (recycle them of course ;) )

I remember old PC software used to come in big cardboard boxes and I used to keep all those but it began to get rediculous, so when I moved house, the boxes didn't.

You could try finding some other use for them? Hardware boxes make very good dustbins (in my flat anyway), and If you were particularly attached to the cover art from some recent software (i do quite like the '05 apps) then you could possibly cut them and mount them a wall. Both of those options would probably cause your wife to leave you, but its a viable option for single geeky guys like me.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've been bad and I probably have almost every one of them and with over 20 years of purchases, that's a lot of boxes, big and small.

I'm probably going to dump all of them, except for my Infocom boxes.
  4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    I keep all my boxes, but it's mostly the game boxes that I actually care about. It's part of the experience, and when I go digging through them looking for a manual or something, it's fun coming across stuff I'd forgotten about...or never finished....

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Yeah hardware boxes tend to get recycled (into holding halloween decorations or something) but I *try* really hard to keep software boxes intact... When you're digging through 8 cubic feet of papers/cds, that giant black/silver X is all you need to know you've got your OS X discs and manuals... it just keeps things organized. But usually, things wind up lost from the boxes, so I have a lot of empty, crushed boxes in my pile.
  6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    I say trash em. I feel so much lighter and clear minded after throwing a bunch of old stuff away. Its kind of fun. (yeah, I'm a little odd, I guess).
  7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Not that odd... I have ruthless chuck-outs every so often and the sensation you describe is spot-on.

Some people are hoarders but I'm not one of them.
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i say trash 'em, and i feel the same way after a cleaning spree, which i find myself doing more and more of, if i dont need it, gone!
  9. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I remember the first complex piece of software I learned, dBase 4. It came with something like four volumes of bound manuals -- took up more than a foot of shelf space. Imagine if all software documentation were still that large -- you'd fill two moving vans just with all your manuals!
  10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    I kept mine for a while, I had a software shelf with all the cool Apple stuff. But eventually I just get sick of having too much stuff and threw all but the important stuff out.