Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I am going to be doing some basic recording and notation and am trying to choose software. I will be recording myself (one, maybe two microphones) over background tracks for fun. I'm going to be recording audio and not really planning to get into loops and things. I also need to create jazz lead sheets quickly and have the ability to transpose to different keys with the touch of a button.

I realize these are very modest requirements and there are probably many programs I could use. I am looking for some advice as to what software to look at that is pretty simple but has reasonably sufficient features without being overkill. Should I just use garage band, and if so what notation software would be a good complement? Or should I consider Logic express, as I understand that has a decent notation editor? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
For notation software I have both Finale and Sibelius. I use Finale 99% of the time, because this is what I do for a living and Finale is the "standard" which I'm expected to use. But they're both great products.

Both Fin & Sib have children products with less features, less cost, but if you're just doing leadsheets, that might be the way to go.

Finale's version is called Finale Printmusic, I don't remember what Sib. calls theirs. Download the demos of each and see what you feel comfortable with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.