Software choices for sound editing...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by quidire, Aug 11, 2004.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Say in the creation of various DVDs, one wanted to do sound editing. There would be no external instruments, but theoretically composition might be possible, using samples. The primary use would be mixing and altering existing sound files.

What are the pros and cons of the below, and which would you buy?

Soundtrack Academic $169
    Apple Store link

Logic Express 6 $149 (edu price)
    Apple Store link

Logic Pro 6 $500 (edu price)
    Apple Store link

Thanks

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I'd first check out Sound Studio from Feltip. It probably came installed on your Mac. From the description you gave of your needs it should be plenty.

3. goodwill macrumors regular

Why dont you check out Cubase SX it retails for close to a grand, but you can get it through

www.academicsuperstore.com

for only 379.00 which is extremely genius to do especially if you're into sound recording.

Otherwise look into Ableton Live 3.0 as well. Logic Pro Express 6 would be more than enough for you, yet, then again so would Cubase SX. Cubase SL is honestly imo the way to go,its about 240.00 most places but ultimately if youre a rockstar and you wanted more high end, I'd go ahead and pay the difference for SX.

If you were honestly thinking about Logic Pro 6 and not the express option, I'd say you'd only need it if you had a 24 track or more to lay it all down on. I know many of you could disagree, I'm only saying if youre a novice, dont go blow your wad.........of cash.

It essentially comes down to personal opinion in the end as well as value. But its kinda like dont buy a Lexus if your only going to drive it around the block because a camry can do that for you at 60% the cost

Good Luck!

4. goodwill macrumors regular

5. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

I have yet to order my mac (DP 2.5 w/ 2GB RAM).

I appreciate the suggestions, I am indeed quite new to all of this; I don't really know what I need. I am going to pick up the Production Suite and am just looking for a Sound-editing companion for that set of programs.

I still don't quite grasp what the difference is between Logic Soundtrack Cubase etc. Any tips on what to read/explanations of what that difference is?

-RS

6. Bruce Lee, PhD macrumors member

of the packages you mention, i've only used logic. however, given what you're planning to do, i don't think logic is well-suited to the task.

logic is designed to act as a recording studio; you record all your MIDI and audio tracks, then mix them, add effects, etc. it's not really designed to edit individual sound files. you *can* do that with logic (at least you can do mixing anyway), but my guess is that logic will probably be confusing overkill for what you want to do. i'd be sure there would be some easier-to-use package designed expressly for creating and mixing soundtracks for movies.

7. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I would take a look at Bias Deck, as it's multitrack editing software. It will allow you to record but doesn't do the MIDI or any sequencing. For dealing with loops and samples, it'll allow you to do a lot of the stuff you're looking for. Logic, SoundTrack, etc. seem to have too much overhead for what you want to do and something like Sound Studio or Peak (also by Bias) is only two-track, which will be limiting if you have more than a couple samples layered.

That being said, Logic looks like a pretty sweet deal right now and should be very reliable now that Apple owns it...

cpjakes

8. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Final Cut Pro HD

This purchase is within the contect of buying the Production Suite package from Apple. Does this package come with the full version of Soundtrack?

If so, is there any reason to start off buying another package?

-RS