Software Firewall

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by plasticparadox, Dec 19, 2003.

1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I'm got my iBook yesterday, and am still in the process of wiping my drool off the case. :eek:

When I reformatted my PC's harddrive and installed Windows, the first thing I did was install ZoneAlarm.

Does something similar exist for MacOS? I saw a firewall option in the 'Sharing' control panel. However, it looks like the Windows XP firewall which I always kept disabled because it was difficult to configure and only checked incoming traffic.

I need something bidirectional that stays out of the way, yet pops up and asks me if I want to allow or disallow traffic.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: Software Firewall

It's Unix, so all the security stuff of unix, is installed into the OS, just gotta get down and dirty with the OS, that said .. .security is really not that big an issue

but if you are concerned

www.securemac.com should have all the info your heart desires about firewall and security on your new baby ...

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Use what's there. It's ipfw, which is fairly accepted in the Linux world and it's definitely simple to add a port.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I use it and it is definitely simple. You just turn it on and forget its there basically. I am not too sure how secure it is, but it can't hurt any.

5. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Switchers, always so paranoid ... i was there once too ... it passes though ... LOL

7. zellin macrumors regular

lol