Software for aspiring hobyist?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by miloblithe, Sep 21, 2006.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What software makes sense for a hobbyist photographer? I can't shell out $600 or so for photoshop, but I get really excited about things like lens distortion correction. What are some other good options?

2. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Aperture 2 in a couple of days?

3. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My understanding is that Aperture is basically iPhoto for pros. It's great (theortically at least) for organizing photos and deciding between photos from a shoot, but it's not much for editing photos.

Also, I can't run Aperture until I get a new computer, probably not less than a year from now.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I use PixelNhance from Caffeine Software, but I keep GIMP on my computer just in case I ever have the courage to try and make something of myself. I've seen SeaShore floating around, and saw something called GIMPShop that was supposed to be GIMP with with a Photoshop interface. I suppose Photoshop Elements won't do?

Caffeine "has suspended operation," but they link to downloads of their software, so I assume it is free to try/use. They also provide TIFFany, which looks like a more powerful program, but like GIMP, I'm still a bit nervous about playing with it.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Gimp. It is very Photoshop-like and does one thing PS does not do - runs native on Intel macs without Rosetta. Look at www.gimp.org

The only complaints people have about Gimp is that Gimp's user interface is not a clone of Photoshop. The Gimp designers call this a "feature".

Gimp does have a wide angle lens distortion correction plug-in available

6. sarae macrumors 6502

If you're looking into RAW editing, you might want to check out Adobe Lightroom. It's still in beta, so free for awhile. I really like it.

There's also Photoshop Elements, which may work for basic editing - I haven't used the program myself, but it may be work looking into.