Software for making reminders for Mail.app messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotnina, Nov 12, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Hi all --

Lately I've been very forgetful about replying to e-mail. Does anyone know of software that integrates with Mail.app and reminds you to reply to messages?

Ideally this would be something that I can do in a second -- for example, just press a button in the Mail.app interface or run a script to generate a reminder that appears at a later time. If it requires any more time / brainpower than that, I'll probably forget to do it. :/

It would be even better if this software program automatically made a reminder through iCal's alarms, but I'd be happy with any sort of reminder deal-thing.

:) Thanks in advance!

2. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I just had a brilliant idea as far as getting this working. You'll need a one-line AppleScript to display the reminder. Something like this should work:
    Code:
    display dialog "Dialog Box Test" buttons "OK"
    where Dialog Box Test is your reminder message. Save that AppleScript to a file somewhere, then remember where you put it. Once that's done, start up iCal and set up the dates/times to be reminded, and have iCal launch your AppleScript as the reminder action (use Open File). The only thing left to do is check Mail for messages to be reminded about - but I don't know what criteria you want to use to do that.

4. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks wrldwzrd, I'll give that a whirl and report back. I haven't exactly gotten my feet wet in Applescript yet, but that seems simple enough. :)