Software for managing a shared Wireless broadband connection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CLAUDE, Jan 10, 2005.

1. CLAUDE macrumors member

Hi,

My flatmate and me are sharing a broadband connection. We use a modem (Zyxel) and a router (Netgear MR814v2). I am connected with the ethernet cable and flatmate with a wireless card.

He is a big fan of peer to peer and eats up the whole bandwidth. Surfing the net has become terribly slow...and I am not talking about seconds but minutes until a page displays in Safari. To provisionally resolve the issue, I plug/unplug the cables so that when I need it I use the connection for myself. Obviously, my flatmate is not too happy about that.

Ok, so here's the question: is there any software I could install on my Ibook G4 that allows to manage the router/connection/bandwith? Simply put, is there any software that allows me to say: 50% of the bandwith is for me and 50% is for my flatmate?

Thanks for your help.

Claude

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Any software for that would probably have to be installed on the router it self. I don't think your router supports that. You'd have to look in the manual or the website.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I imagine you'll need to purchase a new router or a swtich to go in front of the router that will allow you to manage the bandwidth. I saw one at D-Link.com for $319, and I imagine any switch allowing you to do that stuff will be reasonably expensive.

You could also get your router to log activity, I believe, and split the bill based on actual usage, so your roomie pays more.

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

From a few searches it doesn't look like that model of router supports any bandwidth throttling at all (you should still have a look see though) so you're only option then is to talk to your roommate and see if they are agreeable to setting upload/download limits in whatever P2P program they are using.

5. CLAUDE thread starter macrumors member

Software for managing a shared Wireless broadband connection

Hi,

Thanks all for your replies.

Well it looks like I'm going to have to talk to my flatmate again....Changing router is not something I can afford right now. I will have a look again at the documentation of the router to see if anything can be done, but I don't expect any miracles...didn't find anything the first time round.

Thanks again.

Claude