Software for Midi Controller

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by remi123, Jan 26, 2007.

1. remi123 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm classically trained on the piano and am dabbling with digital.

I have bought a 49 key midi controller and I'm looking for free software to just be able to play the notes. I guess I just am after a software midi synthesizer that will play back what I play on my new keyboard.

I'm not after any music production software like GarageBand or anything, i just want to play music on my keyboard.

Anyway, i can't find anything of this nature, everything seems to be music production software.

If anyone knows of just some simple software that will synthesize the notes i play on new keyboard that is free to download, please let me know

Thanks in advance, sorry i'm so clueless!

Cheers

Remi

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you happen to have iLife already, GarageBand is happy to play whatever comes in from a MIDI keyboard without recording. You can simply ignore all the features but the instrument settings on the first track.

3. remi123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Software for Midi Controller

I don't have iLife =(

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, I think I found something, SimpleSynth. All I had to do was start it up, pick the MIDI source from the menu, and it worked.

It's using the built-in QuickTime instruments, but it says it can use DLS and Soundfont files if those don't satisfy.

Edit: Looks like it's a reasonably good implementation, sustain etc. do the right things.

5. remi123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Works perfect!

Thank so much, exactly what I was after!

Cheers