Software for PCs on my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by goldbrick, Nov 19, 2006.

1. goldbrick macrumors newbie

(Not sure if this question has been answered B4, please bear with this newbie)

I've bought into an internet marketing system which involves installing scripts on my computer. They were designed for a PC. Someone at the place where I bought the system - and who offered to install them on my Mac- , has dropped out of sight for a little bit. It has set me wondering if there's some fix that can be done on my G4. (Power Mac G4 Cube running OSX). Virtual PC comes to mind though I don't know a lot about it and my local technician who I find otherwise reasonable wants £200 for installing it.

Any other lower-priced ideas?

2. Pili macrumors regular

parallels only runs on intel Macs, he has a g4 :)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Virtual PC is pretty much your only option. Is that 200 quid INCLUDING the software? That's not too bad because you have to buy Virtual PC with a Windows license - its not cheap (US$275 give or take?). If it's 200 plus the cost of the software on top, find another technician.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is also this, which is only $25 (excluding windows licence), TBH A cheap PC, or an Intel Mac Mini (for £399) might be a better buy, especially as any emulator will be Windows 95 slow on your hardware.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You get what you pay for. And you can't take a cheap PC to a coffee shop or to the airport. For the user who needs to run Windows apps on a G4, the fastest option is VPC hosting Windows 2000.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What kind of scripts are we talking about here.

It could be that the scripts are Java or even .NET for which there could be a native PPC solution.

B

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

After thinking a bit more, the best option is to find a local company who is replacing their PC's, you should be able to pick up one for free, (or virtually free) that will be significantly faster than VPC on a G4 Cube, especially as most companies replace their PC's every three years.