Software for scoping out my wireless network?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by neoelectronaut, Mar 29, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Recently I shoved a wireless PCI card into an old PC for my parents so they can use the internet on it. I have my mac connected directly to the router.

Now, even when both computers are off I notice that the little light for the WAN is still blinking...could someone possibly be leeching off my network? How would I know? Is there a way I can stop this? Perhaps using the whole MAC address thing?

(Sorry if I'm a bit confusing...but networking is one of the few things I'm not really proficient in)
  2. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2003
    the blinking light probably is like the one on my wireless router. it always blinks constantly to show that the status is good. if you are worried that someone is on your wifi turn on wep and MAC address filtering
  3. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    I don't know if your router has this feature, but on my Netgear, I can have a log of all internet activity e-mailed to me. It shows which IP address accessed which website at what time. It's actually pretty useful.
  4. DougJrS macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2004
    Kansas City
    You can try changing the ID of your wireless network. Make sure that the default is not being used. Also, you can allow the DHCP server to only hand out 2 IP addresses. You can turn on WEP encription.

Lots of options .....

OK - even better just unplug the WAN port from your router. Then who ever is connecting will only be connected to you access point and not have any internet connection.

5. belf8st macrumors member

Feb 10, 2004

The blinking is normal. The access point will still broadcast the ssid if you don't have that disabled. you could allways use static ip addresses (turn off dhcp), enable MAC security, enable WEP (which you should), and disable the ssid broadcast. Yes, WEP isn't full proof and weak, but it is better than nothing.
    If you are looking for a tool ported for MAC OS that will help you, check out -

Great tool.
  6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    really, i'd just enable MAC filtering. then you have NO concerns (as long as you change the default username and pass for the router). people just flat out CAN NOT access your network.

Wep is fine, but if the security is broken, then it's wide open again. MAC filtering is easy
  7. belf8st macrumors member

Feb 10, 2004
    That is not true. MAC spoofing is very easy to accomplish. MAC addresses are broadcasted via ARP and RARP requests. Very easy to figure out.

Key compromise is probably the largest issue with WEP. There is WPA, but is just sucks less than WEP. At least when you're using WEP, data isn't flowing out in the open just asking to be sniffed and reconstructed.

There are tons of tools that one could use to accomplish this MAC spoofing.

Just google for it.