Software help for making switch to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by greenguy4, Jan 2, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    I am thinking of buying an ibook in the next few days but I had some questions about the software needed for making the switch. I have a bunch of word, excel, etc... files on my PC so what software would I need to bring them to my mac so I could just put them on a CD and then load them onto the new computer. Also I know this is a bit off subject but I saw some posts about new upgrades in the apple software/hardware, is now a good time to buy a ibook (14inch) or should I wait another a week or two?
  2. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    for all your Microsoft office files, just buy Microsoft office for mac.

if you use photoshop, buy photoshop for mac...

in other words, for almost any major application out there, there is the same, or similar for the mac.

oh- just burn a cd with all your documents like you would at any other time. your mac will read the pc disk just fine.

welcome to the world of macs (soon) if you have any questions, we love to help.
  3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Appleworks can usually open Microsoft Office files, but my experience is that it can be a bit dodgy at times. I believe it comes with iBooks. However, if you don't feel comfortable with that, you can always buy a copy of Office that's Mac native.

This is a tougher question to answer. My personal opinion is that it's not always necessary to keep up with the Jobs' so to speak. If you were to buy today and new hardware was announced at MW in a week, you wouldn't be any worse off. You'd still have a excellent new piece of hardware.