Software help, how do i RIP dvd's to my mac and make compilations?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fuijin, Sep 8, 2004.

1. fuijin macrumors newbie

fuijin

I want to put movies on my ibook, edit the video, cut, and make like a compilation of the video. can you recommend software to do that, please?

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

iMovie, iDVD

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Actually you need a step before iMovie/iDVD. Use something like Handbrake (look for it on google or versiontracker) to get the video from the DVD to you Mac. You can then import the video into iMovie (providing you've ripped it in a video format that iMovie likes). You can then cut the DVD however you wish and bring it into iDVD to burn the DVD.

Also please don't double post.

4. fuijin thread starter macrumors newbie

fuijin

YEA about the double post...im at work, and i added the topic in error to that forum. and i didnt know how to delete it. sorry. but do you have any links or costs of those programs?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No biggie. Some people are not aware that double posting isn't good practice. But anyhow...

Handbrake is located here. It is free. iMovie and iDVD of course are part of iLife and are free only if they came with your Mac or what not. Otherwise you will have to purchase iLife and that is typically $50.

6. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

i just got handbrake and tried it now also , do u have to browse and click the dvd and then select the video ts folder or the audio and then you hit open and it rips it , right? My friend mentioned to me another good one called dvd2one or something like that any suggestions. thanks

7. fuijin thread starter macrumors newbie

fuijin

whats a good webhosting service so i can stream the video? like .mac? does .mac offer that? or are there others?

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

DVD2OneX will take a DVD and recompress the contents to fit it onto a 4.2 gig DVD disc. However the format of the video and audio is a .VOB file and cannot be brought into iMovie. The only use I know of for DVD2OneX is to reproduce a DVD that would otherwise not be burnable onto your "standard" sized DVD disc.

Using Handbrake you can recompress a DVD to an AVI file or some other such format. These can (depending on which type you make it) be brought into iMovie.

9. fuijin thread starter macrumors newbie

fuijin

THANKYOU SO MUCH!