Software instruments into Protools?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by katok, Sep 30, 2004.

1. katok macrumors newbie

Garageband isn't much of a editing software but has great software instruments.
    Does anyone know how you can use those instruments in protools through their MIDI track?
    It would save me a lot of money so I don't have to buy a Triton or other software instruments that work with protools.
    Thanks!!

2. Xenious macrumors 6502a

My opinion is that you would be better off using a software synth from the likes of Native Instruments or perhaps Reason. Technically what you want to do _should_ be possible _if_ Garageband can send midi signals. You might need some sort of virtual MIDI patch tool to point one program at another.

Question for you: do you like pro-tools more than logic? I'm just getting started on my new mac and I went ahead and picked up logic express to check it out. On the PC I've used programs like Acid, Reason and Cakewalk.

What do you have for your protools setup?
    -jim

3. katok thread starter macrumors newbie

I like both of them in different ways.
    I'm sticking with protools because I couldn't afford logic.
    My current set up is a powerbook with an mbox and a 2x2 midi interface.
    I kept it compact so I could take it around places to record.
    At my college though, they have a nice setup so I have access to a lot of softwares.

Personally I like logic better.
    It's easy to use and very strong for midi use.
    Pro tools is terrible at midi but has great plugins for audio editing.

4. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I havent really had a chance to mess with either. Which would you say is better for straight audio editing and mixing. I was thinking about picking up the cheap logic???

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I concur logic is pricy (tho cheaper at edu discounts). I picked up logic express as a cheap alternative to try and learn the product (of course no its just been upgraded, sigh ahah).
    -jim

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

ReWire is impemented on garageband, but not to the level of streaming audio, only as a timing system, Garageband doesn't currently transmit ANY MIDI at all to external systems, it's a stand alone consumer system.

I ReWire Reason into ProTools all the time, and you con control the instruments from the ProTools MIDI and mix the audio from Reason directly into the ProTools mixer. Using ProTools for basic MIDI is fine, but anything beyond note-on/note-off will require Logic or something similar, however the audio tracking and mixing is much easier from ProTools.