Software issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AoWolf, Jan 10, 2005.

1. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well I know its a bland title but you will have to forgive me. Sense about 10.3.6 my fathers powermac has been having issues with OS. Basically when you have to restart the computer due to a crash or any other reason it shows a page of unix. I am not quite sure what it all says except for the bottom line witch reads something like"we are hanging here". It will start up normally about 1 out of 20 times. As of recent it has also been saying that that second HD is read only. If you repair permission it will crash 1/2 of the time. If you hit repair permissions again after a restart it will show that the same permissions or broken. Doing disk first aid has no effect. Any Ideas on things to try?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Is it still under warranty or covered by AppleCare? If so, I'd bring it in to your local Apple Store (or call them) and have them fix it. It sounds like it could be something major.

If it's not covered, you may want to try formatting the HD and starting from scratch re-installing the OS and apps. This is highly unusual for OS X, which leads me to believe it may be a hardware error. Do you have the hardware diagnostic CD that came with the Mac? If so, try that as well.

In either case, make sure you back up all of your data.

3. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I have indeed done soft ware test and it came up all clear. Also if I boot of my porsche drive all is well. This leads me to believe that it is a software problem.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

In which case, I'd go a clean format and re-install the OS. Hate to say it, but if things are really that messed up, you're probably better off. All I can think is that something got screwed with during an installation or something. Unless there are a ton of apps, or things for which you no longer have the installers, it shouldn't take too long to do.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, definately reinstall cause there should be no reason the computer is crashing like that. My iMac has crashed requiring a restart two times in 16 months of very heavy use. Lots of programs lock up requiring a "force quit", but hardly a restart. What computer are you using? did OS9 get upgraded all the way to OS9.2.2? What about firmware upgrade?