Software license keys - more proof of headless iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sigamy, Jan 4, 2005.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

We've now seen rumors that the new iWork suite will use a license key and that Adobe Creative Suite will have "stricter product activation". These rumors seem to give more weight to the headless iMac rumor--maybe Apple planning an all-out assault in order to drastically grow market share.

With a much larger installed base of machines, software vendors (including Apple) will need tighter controls on their software.

So can rumors validate other rumors?

2. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Don't read into it too much . . . .

I don't think that the coincidence of these two rumours validates either one. In the case of Adobe, better software protection has been long over due. Currently their means of protecting their property (just an activation code that can be used on multiple machines) is a little bit behind the time. Compared to something like FormZ (a model app I run) which uses a USB dongle, Adobe needs to take a little more aggressive stance.

Apple is pretty much in the same boat. While they have been making their CDs/DVDs a little more difficult to copy lately, you can still install stuff like FCP on to as many machines as you like as long as you use the original CD/DVD.

Sadly, all this work on copy protection only, at best, serves as a minor set back for those who wish to pirate. Even hardware devices like WIBU keys can be defeated if the software that calls for them is altered. And while I would welcome a tougher stance by both Adobe and Apple, I'm not sure I would like to see things like Internet validation on every use or other extremes.

In terms of the headless mac, I sure hope that rumour is correct. While it wouldn't be the quickest machine around, I do know a few people who would love to have something else to hook their Dell monitors too.

3. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I think this is a little far fetched. There are a LOT of illegal Adobe copies floating around, I think their products are among the most popular pirated pieces of software. It's only logical for Adobe to make it as strict as possible.

Regarding iWork: if it's true, like the rumor says, that it's likely to come with most new Mac models, including the rumoured headless iMac, A license key wouldn't have much use. Just as an iLife license key wouldn't have right now. EXCEPT when Apple expects iWork to be very popular with folks that have (current and older) Macs that didn't come with iWork.

But that's not the future headless iMac, so no connection here either.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I see your point. It has merit. It makes sense from the standpoint that as more machines reach the market, software vendors need to protect their property.

5. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

While I can see from this point of view, part of me sees the complete opposite being true. Let me explain: for a software company, the bulk of their expenses is the development of the software, which is fixed no matter if they sell 0 copies or 1 million. Printing the manual and burning the CD or DVD is practically nill. Now, of course there is a small increase in support costs per unit sold, but I would think development costs would far outweight this. Heck, my sales pitch to SJ to try to bring a miniMac to market would be something like, "Who cares if you make much, if any, money on the computer because when you update iLife or OS X, there will be a vastly larger base of people who may choose to upgrade. And the money will be spent to develop that new software no matter if it is destined for a possible 2% of computer users or 5%."

All that being said, please let the miniMac rumors be true.

6. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

they sued Think Secret for the MiniMac and iWorks...

So its probably because they have it right... just sit and wait for 11jan :)

J

7. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

this topic is actually a very interesting one..a little story:

i was with a friend the other day, and we were passing the apple store, so i told him i wanted to pop in and get some software. when we were upstairs he said to me 'why do you actually buy apple software? or any software for that matter' - i told him that mac users generally dont steal software.

was i wrong to make a general assumption like this? in all honestly, if i want a piece of software, i'll go to the store and buy it; i dont think i feel the need to cheat people and copy illegal software.

i'm pretty sure windows people steal more software - maybe i just think that because the mac people i hang around with generally pay for software..

maybe apple dont even need to make their software harder to pirate because we dont steal it..

/asif

8. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

i would say mac users are just as likely to steal software as windows users... there are just more windows users so therefore more windows software gets stolen. Personally i dont have enough money to pay for alot of the software that i use. Not really a justification but kind of.

9. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Why does everyone insist on calling it a headless iMac. Its most likely going to be a G4 chip, so it should be concidered a headless eMac. The key code is most likely to try and stop piracy, since most mac users are going to want to avoid MS completely, that is if it can read word documents. iWorks will be expensive compared to iLife, $49 to about $150+, since Keynote is already $99.

10. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

and why does everybody needs to call it a headless i or eMac for that fact, why can't it just be something new?? I liked the name miniMac... it looks more like it will be a headless iBook for all whe hear so far :p

hmm something so small you'll put it on a shelve between your books

it's the new Mac iShelve :p

I think it would be not right to call it iMac unless it has the same specs minus monitor as the iMac odes have, and thats more getting in the neigbourhood of the PM G5 1.8

allso watch out for people calling it the new Cube... it should be way more expensive to be called that again :p