Software Licenses

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by epochblue, May 4, 2006.

1. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I should start by saying that I'm a programmer by trade and that I currently use Fugu and Smultron as my (S)FTP client and text editor (although, I did get a free license for SubEthaEdit during MacZOT's BlogZOT 2.0 recently).

And just a little background before I get to my question: I've (over and over again) looked at programs like TextMate and Transmit, but I can never seem to justify the $50 for a TEXT EDITOR or the $30 for an FTP CLIENT. Are these really worth the $80 for the pair?

I realize they have certain "abilities" that you can't necessarily find in FOSS, but does what they have really justify the cost? I'm not using anything illegally, and if they're really *that* good it's probably worth the $80.

So, I guess my question is this: what makes these particular programs so special? I've even used TextMate for a few days and found it not TOO much different from some other text editors (aside from the way it handles projects which was nice, but not $50 nice)...
  2. milkdev macrumors member

Apr 15, 2006
    I bought Transmit and use it a lot.

It's very intuitive and I wouln't want to miss it anymore.
    For me it's worth the money, but you have to decide if you need it.

There is also freeware for FTP transmission and text editing, so you don't need to buy that software.