software lisence with new macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattraehl, Mar 21, 2005.

1. mattraehl macrumors 6502

I own a single mac, so I can't really answer this question myself...

Can the OS X (In this case, 10.3) CD bundled with new macs be used to install OS X on other macs in my household?

The reason I am asking is this:
    I would like to buy Tiger when it is released. If history is any indication, it will retail for $130. I am wondering, then, if I can just buy a Mac mini for $499, when Tiger is released, and use the Tiger install disk to put Tiger on my iBook. If this is possible, you could essentially get a Mac mini thrown into your Tiger purchase (assuming you were going to buy Tiger anyways) for a mere $369, which is a very compelling offer for someone who already has a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc, laying around the house, and wouldn't mind a new desktop computer. And, there might even be *refurbished* Mac mini's available for, say, 450 or 425, by the time Tiger is released.

Any thoughts on this?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not legally. The copy of the OS that comes with a new Mac is licensed to be installed on a single computer only, the Mac that it comes with. The question as to whether it is possible, well that's different!

3. Bear macrumors G3

If history is any inidication, the Family Pack of Mac OS X will be $200 and will cover up to 5 Macs in the same house/family.