Software on a PC laptop that I actually want!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cdp788, Aug 2, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2004
    So the other day, my cousin got a compaq (gasp!) laptop... as I was showing him how to use it, I stumbled upon a neat little utility. The laptop came with battery software that would help calibrate it and test for max current. Most interesting, i thought, as a cycle counter that measured how many charge cycles the battery was put through.

I'm wondering if anyone knew of any software (pref. freeware) like this for our powerbooks. A fwe months ago, i ran across one that tested your battery and "graded" it against other powerbook batteries that had been tested by users. I've had my 12"-er for a little over a year now and am wondering how much time i still have with this battery.
  2. macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003

Do you have a link to download this little app?

I wouldn't mind an answer to your question either... I've had my PB for 18 months now and the battery life is starting to taper off.. still acceptable (for a PB, but not great...

Which reminds me, my battery has never lasted long enough to play a 2hr+ DVD whilst on the road... that bugs me..
  3. macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    There is a command line utility ioreg, write this at the terminal

ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

It will show you the capacity and the amperage, from what I have seen, capacity should be around 4600 and amperage around 1200, for pb

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2004
    It's called iBatt. The trial version of the software gives you 10 minutes of limited functionality, but it should be enough.
  5. macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I did that ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

it tells me "Capacity"=2938,"Amperage"=1200

My battery is full and my laptop is only about 10 months old, and I haven't used it on battery all that much, mostly it's on my desk plugged in.

I recall doing this a few months earlier, and getting similar results. That's only about 64% of theoretical capacity. Do you think that Apple would send me a new battery if I called them?

edit: searched forums, end of February, i had a result of 3730/4600. My battery is going downhill FAST! :eek: