Software on Display Macs in Store

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tderemigis, Sep 28, 2006.

1. tderemigis macrumors member

All the display models in Apple stores have the launcher bar in the middle of the desktop. Is there anyway to do this, or is it a special distribution of osx for instore use only?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i asked a friend of mine who worked at an Apple Store about this and he said it was something that is used only on the in-store models.

3. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

5. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

if the launcher bar is whats its called then yes. i am setting up a media kiosk and liked the idea of setting one up to launch the diferent apps. anyone know of anything similar?

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Do you mean the Dock?

Attached Files:

7. iGary Guest

iGary

No, its a section in the middle of the screen - NOT the dock.

8. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Are you thinking of the custom icons Apple have in their stores to access genius bar wait times and such? They usually appear in the middle of the screen on the desktop.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You're not talking about the Cmd+tab thingy, are you? Though how you'd make that stay on the screen I have no idea...

10. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

No, this I believe is an Apple Store-only thing. Apple did tell our store we would be getting ghost like software for use in store, it may well have included this, had we received it.

Basically it is like the cmd-tab, but has usually only three icons and they are there until one is clicked upon. Couldn't tell you what each is for though.

Finally, before anyone else adds comments, as far as I know this is not found standard in OSX. Do not suggest Dock or cmd-tab or any other standard, every day used OSX functions.

11. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

yea its not the dock. it is the thing that is in the middle of the screens. anyone know of replacement software?