Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 29, 2004
I buy all my software, music, movie, etc. Except Microsoft software. (Office and Windows). I know I should pay... But its Microsoft! :eek:

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
My income: $0

Allowed to work: Yes
Allowed to work for money: No
Allounance from Parents: $0

I usually give my friends my hw and they pay me! lol

SO:

I buy things I need, and I want to support.

I use iTunes and stuff.

I only illegally download things I need that I can't buy if its cheap anyway... like, I am still using Photoshop 5 Lite Edition that came with my dads scanner, etc...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
----Bowie---- said:
I buy all my software, music, movie, etc. Except Microsoft software. (Office and Windows). I know I should pay... But its Microsoft! :eek:
I'm keeping a list... if I ever find out that you've become successful (read: rich), I'll come to your house and steal some of your stuff... after all, you'd be able to afford it, right? :)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
----Bowie---- said:

LOL! My dad got Windows XP three times!

Laptop, 2 desktops

Microsoft needs a family pack

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
dotdotdot said:
LOL! My dad got Windows XP three times!

Laptop, 2 desktops

Microsoft needs a family pack
Did those machines come with XP preinstalled? If they did, the cost to him was MUCH lower than if he bought them retail... OEMs license Windows from Microsoft fairly cheaply.

Suspended
Mar 29, 2004
clayjohanson said:
I'm keeping a list... if I ever find out that you've become successful (read: rich), I'll come to your house and steal some of your stuff... after all, you'd be able to afford it, right? :)

If I become an evil corporation then I'll have it coming to me! ;)

I'm not going to lose sleep over borrowing a copy of Windows from a friend after spending almost $400 on Final Cut Express and buying music from the iTMS.

But you're right. Shame on.... Shame on me :eek:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Well, all my OS's are legit. Okay, okay, I may have fudged the license a tad, but it was all paid for. Except Jaguar, thanks to Ten for Teachers. And I qualified for the $20 upgrade for Panther... hmmm....

Seeing as I'm currently broke, and have been (more or less) for quite some time now, I have in the past, and occasionally (much rarer now) do download things. It's usually the expensive stuff (say, Photoshop). Of course, some of that stuff I don't even use much, if at all (Office 2004 hasn't been installed, and I doubt it ever will be, TextEdit and .rtf are all I need). I'm usually more inclined to pay for kick-ass shareware (Salling Clicker, Netflix Freak, Delicious Library (that one's next ;)), EV Nova, SpamSieve, MenuTunes, and there are others I'm sure I've forgotten) because 1) I can actually afford it 2) shareware developers are generally more in need of money than, say, Adobe or Apple (thanks to volume licenses and hardware sales). That said, I know it's wrong. I would love to be able to pay for Adobe CS, and Apple's Production Suite ($600 for edu, an amazing deal! :eek: I'd pay for it and probably only use two of the apps XD). Once I get the money (well, if I ever do :rolleyes: ) I'll purchase full versions of anything I use. If I won't use it, I won't buy it, and hopefully find something cheaper/free (E.G. Photoshop Elements, bundled software).

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
----Bowie---- said:
If I become an evil corporation then I'll have it coming to me! ;)

I'm not going to lose sleep over borrowing a copy of Windows from a friend after spending almost $400 on Final Cut Express and buying music from the iTMS.

But you're right. Shame on.... Shame on me :eek:
In the immortal words of Assistant Inspector Masahiro Matsumoto, "Theft is theft. There is no grey area."

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
flyfish29 said:
Niether does Virgin so go steal a couple of CD's why don't ya?

I don't make much money either but I don't steal.

i download music by RIAA artists and buy independent music.

and if I couldn't afford to feed myself I'd steal from a Wal*Mart before I stole from a local shop.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I pay for *all* of my software be it commercial, shareware, what have you....all my music is legit too...I do not belive in stealing and as far as I am concerned none of the "excuses" I see in this thread (or any of the other threads on this subject) hold any water....oh yeah!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
All of my stuff is legal. If I can get a trial and like the programs then I buy them, if not I delete them and no money is lost and it was legal. I wish more companies did the trial programs since it can make a sale (it did with flash mx 2004 for me). It works well so I bought it and I don't feel cheated out of anything. :D

Graeme A

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
When I switched to the Mac platform, I made a conscious decision to buy original software. So far, I have shelled out for Photoshop CS; Illustrator 10 and CS upgrade; InDesign CS; iLife 04 and 05; Microsoft Office V.x and 2004; Panther; Production Suite; MYOB First Edge (US and AU versions); Virtual PC (6.1 and 7); Extensis ProMask, and a few games.

I do not mind paying for most of the software as I have bought it from the Apple Stores in the US. The one that I have really squealed about was the VPC 7 as I had to buy the full version after I bought the PM G5, nearly AU$300 for something thats on Amazon for US$110...

Apart from the warm feeling I have that I paid someone for good products, I like the fact that I can ask for support if it all goes pear shaped.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
The view from my Perch of Piety

Clean as a whistle, and regularly advocate such to peers, colleagues and random strangers unfortunate enough to be caught in a long elevator journey with me.

I too know of folks who plunder the murky oceans wearing eye-patch and parrot, but I try not to let it bother me beyond deeply supercilious remarks that leave them whimpering and guilt ridden. Perhaps I should be doing more in the fight against piracy (I know plenty o'people who saw Spiderman on DVD before it's theatrical release in this country), but I'm too selfish and self centred to get involved that far. So I'm not sitting too comfortably on that perch as it turns out!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'm 70/30.

I own my copy of Adobe CS
I own my copy of MS Office
I own my copy of iLife 05 (and 04)
I own my copy of Panther
I own my copy of Suitcase

My Macromedia apps...I'll leave you to your own thoughts.

I'll be purchasing Macromedia Director this spring.

I'll be a clean citizen. :D

The kids in the HS where I teach think that they shouldn't have to pay for anything they can find for free. There reasons are as bad as the ones I've seen in this thread - it costs too much, I'll pay for it later, big companies don't need my money, etc..... We've had a number of discussions about it - but for them, there is no guilt, no remorse, not even a second thought. Their collective attitude is simply this: it isn't theft if you don't get caught.

Earlier in the year, we introduced Sibelius (the program, not the composer...) to my AP Theory class. Literally THE NEXT DAY, half the class had the program on their PCs - with the copy protection cracked. Those that got it explained to those that didn't how to get it, and the next day, everyone had it. On the one hand, it's good to be resourceful. On the other, theft is theft. On the other hand (sorry, I sound a bit like Tevye...), 200+ bucks WITH the student discount is a lot of money. On the other hand, it's so expensive because people steal it. On the other hand, people steal it because it's so expensive.

This is tough. It's an attitude thing - a real challenge to convince students to do the right thing. I'm trying.

I'm also trying to get them over from the dark side......that's worked on more than a few thus far.....

MFK

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Apple Hobo said:
Myth: Mac users are more respectful of their software; they buy software rather than pirate it.

I've seen the above many times on these forums, and I don't buy it (No pun intended!).

No definately not for normal Mac-users - but for macrumors members it seem to be true :rolleyes:

So, to tip the scales to a more realistic level I will confess my sins... dear fathers - I have "stolen" practically all my software! I know it's wrong and illegal... but, what is a poor student of arcitecture to do??

I simply cannot afford any of the drafting and 3D-modeling applications that is used in the architectural industry... vectorworks, archicad, formZ, ACAD, rhino, 3dstudio... Applications I'm expected to know when I apply for a job. Not all of them off course. But it's essential to have a basic understanding of these kinds of apps so you can learn fastly once you get hired. And there is only one way to get that knowledge.

I really don't understand what the software companies imagine - that future architects and designers spend their studies drawing with pen on paper and then magically learn all about computers when they get their first job.

Since I am sure this can't be true, that they are in fact very well aware of the current state of affairs. And since none of them have made any serious attempts at finding a proper solution to this problem, I can only assume that they accept this behavior as the easiest way for them to make sure people keep learning and using their software!

A

joe90

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
UK
Graeme A said:
When I switched to the Mac platform, I made a conscious decision to buy original software. So far, I have shelled out for Photoshop CS; Illustrator 10 and CS upgrade; InDesign CS; iLife 04 and 05; Microsoft Office V.x and 2004; Panther; Production Suite; MYOB First Edge (US and AU versions); Virtual PC (6.1 and 7); Extensis ProMask, and a few games.

I do not mind paying for most of the software as I have bought it from the Apple Stores in the US. The one that I have really squealed about was the VPC 7 as I had to buy the full version after I bought the PM G5, nearly AU$300 for something thats on Amazon for US$110...

Apart from the warm feeling I have that I paid someone for good products, I like the fact that I can ask for support if it all goes pear shaped.

same here, i decided when i switched to the mac i'd buy all my software legally, even though that means, as a student, having to save and wait and wait and save some more etc.

on my old pc laptop pretty much all the software i had was illegal; photoshop 7, macromedia mx, illustrator, ms office. it wasn't a case of searching for hours on the internet to download a copy but more a case of friends having cds with loads of pirated stuff on them. not that that makes it any less illegal or immoral or anything.

still, i have turned over a new software leaf and have bought office for the mac and am coping fine without photoshop and macromedia for the mo. i have to admit it does feel nicer when you install a legitimate copy :)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I could see one instance where piracy should be somewhat forgiven (hows that for a vague sentence?) and thats for educational use.

My fiancee was an art major and her classes required her to buy Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS, Illustrator, Flash, and several other programs which I have never heard of. She could have used some free software to do some of these (ie Gimp instead of Photoshop) but was not allowed. Adobe and Macromedia really need to make a student version of their programs... those things are too damn expensive!

Either that or schools need to start teaching Gimp and Blender etc. I had a similar issue when I was in college (Business degree) because they REQUIRED you have Powerpoint. Fortunately, my work had Powerpoint so I just did all my homework there.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
jazzmfk said:
The kids in the HS where I teach think that they shouldn't have to pay for anything they can find for free. There reasons are as bad as the ones I've seen in this thread - it costs too much, I'll pay for it later, big companies don't need my money, etc..... We've had a number of discussions about it - but for them, there is no guilt, no remorse, not even a second thought. Their collective attitude is simply this: it isn't theft if you don't get caught.

edit.

This is tough. It's an attitude thing - a real challenge to convince students to do the right thing. I'm trying.

I'm also trying to get them over from the dark side......that's worked on more than a few thus far.....

MFK

It's not news that a lot of people will break the law if they think they won't get caught, and it's a new phenomena either, been going on forever I expect.

The difference now is that it's a lot easier to break the law, and it's beginning to be seen as a normal thing to do. As you say, the cult of self-justification is rampant amongst pirates, no-one seems to realise that if you can't afford it you can't have it.

Keep trying.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
DavidLeblond said:
My fiancee was an art major and her classes required her to buy Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS, Illustrator, Flash, and several other programs which I have never heard of. She could have used some free software to do some of these (ie Gimp instead of Photoshop) but was not allowed. Adobe and Macromedia really need to make a student version of their programs... those things are too damn expensive!.
I don't know about Macromedia, but most Adobe software has educational pricing (including Photoshop CS).

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
My software is all legal. I've found that shareware and freeware apps on the Mac side are great. I'd donate to them if I had the money, but I don't... :mad: Anywhoo, this reminds me that I need to clean out the expired demos (read: software that I needed to do something in that 14 day period of time and forget what it did now).

I do have Transmit installed.. downloaded it from their website, and it hasn't expired yet. Or I haven't discovered the limitations yet? I dunno. In any case, no pirated software here.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
DavidLeblond said:
I could see one instance where piracy should be somewhat forgiven (hows that for a vague sentence?) and thats for educational use.

My fiancee was an art major and her classes required her to buy Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS, Illustrator, Flash, and several other programs which I have never heard of. She could have used some free software to do some of these (ie Gimp instead of Photoshop) but was not allowed. Adobe and Macromedia really need to make a student version of their programs... those things are too damn expensive!

Either that or schools need to start teaching Gimp and Blender etc. I had a similar issue when I was in college (Business degree) because they REQUIRED you have Powerpoint. Fortunately, my work had Powerpoint so I just did all my homework there.

Most companies offer educational discounts or edu versions, however I do sympathise with the students plight, particularly with the additional fees soon to be charged in the UK University sector.

We are talking to Apple regularly about options to make our students lives easier, they have some good ideas.

I think we will see companies going to greater lengths to secure their revenue streams, Digidesign make their hardware the key for the software, you can install and copy the software anywhere, but it won't work without the hardware attatched.

Sadly it means you can't use Protools with some of the other interfaces, but they need the income to survive.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
The issue also becomes of one of those that bought the full retail version and those that did the EDU versions. As much as I suggest that one take a class at the community college level, this breaks at the heart at what EDU discounts are to provide.

Until I see hard and fast numbers, I can see the "greed" of both the users and the producers.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
mcadam said:
So, to tip the scales to a more realistic level I will confess my sins... dear fathers - I have "stolen" practically all my software! I know it's wrong and illegal... but, what is a poor student of arcitecture to do??

The answer is simple: you make do without.

I simply cannot afford any of the drafting and 3D-modeling applications that is used in the architectural industry... vectorworks, archicad, formZ, ACAD, rhino, 3dstudio... Applications I'm expected to know when I apply for a job. Not all of them off course. But it's essential to have a basic understanding of these kinds of apps so you can learn fastly once you get hired. And there is only one way to get that knowledge.

There's more than one way. There's ALWAYS more than one way.

For example, you could take a part time job at one of those firms, which would let you earn some bread while learning the App's of interest for you. Plus, you would then have a leg up in finding a job in industry after graduation, because instead of merely having experience with a particular software tool, you have actual industry experience.

In the meantime, if you really gotta have your own copy, scrimp on your beer budget. No matter how poor I was in school, it seemed that I always was able to find a way to buy beer.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.