Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julizeda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
For some reason I can't seem to find a list of the software that comes pre-installed on the iMacs. For example, do they typically come with a word processing program (Pages, for example) pre-installed? I don't know why I can't find this info on the Apple web-site.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
iMacs don't ship with pages or any other word processor. They ship with ilife and your os (currentlt Lion)
http://www.apple.com/uk/ilife/
You will either have to buy word or pages from the app store or shop.

Not quite correct, all Macs come with Text Edit which is a very basic text editing application. You can purchase Pages for $20 from the Mac App Store and of course you can always use MS Office for Mac (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) for about $100 or so or use one of the free MS Office derivatives like NeoOffice or OpenOffice.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not quite correct, all Macs come with Text Edit which is a very basic text editing application. You can purchase Pages for $20 from the Mac App Store and of course you can always use MS Office for Mac (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) for about $100 or so or use one of the free MS Office derivatives like NeoOffice or OpenOffice.

Is this the same as notepad on a windows machine? I've heard good things about open office but never used it on a Mac

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Is this the same as notepad on a windows machine? I've heard good things about open office but never used it on a Mac

I currently don't use a PC so I can't say I'm familiar with notepad, however my understanding is TextEdit is somewhat similar however it has more formatting abilities and also includes a spell checker and some nice formatting abilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.