Software Program Idea

Discussion in 'Community' started by swanny, Feb 4, 2005.

1. swanny macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004
    Standard Temperature Grid Assignment

With regard to global warming
    and such and might have potential for a grant
    but heres the scoop.
    Its called the STGP or the "Standard Temperature Grid Program"
    What would be required is to over every one or two hour period
    take the current temp of 60 or some number of exquidistant 'temp sensor" sites
    around the globe. If this could then be established as a Global standard
    it would serve as a reference point and such towards the apparent global warming
    situation. The idea is based along the lines of Standard Time Zones which in themselves
    are relative and arbitray but who by our use Standardizes Global time so we know more
    approximately the correct and current time. It might not be of much use intially but over the years the data could indicate temperature trends or patterns. The 60 site temps are added up and divided by 60 to give a global mean temperature which would help as to organize and cut down on the number of variables involved in weather and climate sensing and keeping them equidistant would incorporate the "spacial" aspect.
    Again it would take years or decades perhaps till the data prooved anything
    but we have to start somewhere. This standard then could be adopted globally and monitored for variations. Sure altitude and wind and clouds and such would factor in and it would be fairly crude initially but as the data came in it might reveal patterns and global trends.
    Now I suppose you could add the humidity as well but keeping it relatively simple and sustainable would be better. I'd just be curious to see the results of a year and see how
    the numbers crunch. You probably want the temps for sure at the poles and I think theyre
    around somewhere and possibly islands in the ocean and it would be nice to get some
    ocean or water sites too and a lot around the equator. I suppose the earth tilt would be another variable but it shouldn't be that hard to do if you could somehow suck up the select data that I'm pretty sure is already available.
    Oh which reminds me I was wonderin if they were "recording" that big quake from earth satellites and if they could see anything of the tsuanmi .
    Any way just a concept.

I was just pondering that you could probably backtrack at least some of the data
    100 years ago if some of your sites were places where they have been keeping
    temperature records for a while. This would perhaps be moderately useful
    in determining the current situation a little faster. What good is monitoring if we
    can't do much about it? hmmm well it would give maybe indications of the major trouble spots if any. Like the cutting down and burning of the rain forests at a rate of
    1 acre per second. And there's probably more
  2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    The first problem I see is that temperature has such high spatial variance that 60 or even 600 points would not be accurate. You can move 50 feet and experience a significant change in temperature: How would we be confident that our sampling point accurately represents its area?
  3. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004

True enough thats why I say that the data has to be over a longer
    time frame for it to be significant because it in the short term is somewhat
    relative. But it would be better than the hodge podge of sites now...
    A least you have a "constant" or standard grid of some sort in terms of equal distances.
    The more sensors though equally spaced the more precise the data.
    But as it stands now there is no constant or standard "global frame" of reference so no wonder the weather can not be more accurately predicted. You have to establish a standard base line data base. Therefore you need a certain number of equidistant "fixed points" for reference.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Check out the Weather Underground. They have a way for people with personal weather stations to upload that data to this site so you can see what the weather stats in that area are. It's hit-and-miss coverage since it's just a collection of weather freaks, but it's still interesting to look at.

For the larger question, aren't there thermal imaging devices in space that can quite readily track temperatures across large spaces?
  5. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004

Thankyou Mactastic.... shall add it to the data

as for the sattellites yes they do infrared the temps I think...
    I think though that fixed points would be better they could even be
    accessed by sattellite and a grid would be the way to go as far as that goes.

as well you're not really interested in the local area temperature anyway
    this is being done to establish the global "mean" temperature as referenced from equidistant fixed points on a grid. Its about the long term not short term data thats of interest.
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yes, but average temperature data can be extracted from much greater than 60 points across the Earth if infrared were used, as the temperature can be monitored continously across the entire surface of the Earth.
  7. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004

I think though a sampling has to be or should still be taken from
    consistent and fixed points whether 60 or 6000. Otherwise the data
    is somewhat meaningless. I still say some sort of fixed global grid
    would do that as satellite infrared is a "floating" measure it would seem
    and hence somewhat arbitary. The sources of the data should be from
    consistent fixed points on the ground or oceans around the globe.