software recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by scollie41, Dec 6, 2003.

1. scollie41 macrumors newbie

I am buying a PB in January, either a 17" or 15", not sure yet. I work for a University so I can get good deals on software and need some recommendations. I know I will get Office and I can get Norton Anitvirus Corporate as a freebie. I'm also considering Dreamweaver for web stuff. What else do I need? Should I get Norton's Utilities or is there a better package out there? Do I need toast or does OS X have enough burning features? Any others?

Thanks!

2. NP3 macrumors regular

I would suggest Diskwarrior over Norton's Utilities. DW has saved my butt a lot more than NU has.

As far as toast goes...if you are going to be making lots of copies of images off your hard drive and copying cds, then get it because its easier for working fast, otherwise the finder will suit your needs.

While you're in the ballpark...you might consider macromedia studio (which includes dreamweaver) if you want to get into flash and higher level web development.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Stay away from Norton! The various Norton products seem to cause more problems than all other OS X apps combined :eek:

4. scollie41 thread starter macrumors newbie

What should I consider for anitvirus protection then?

5. leet1 macrumors 6502

You don't need antivirus with OSX for now.

6. NP3 macrumors regular

Well....i would say that antivirus doesn't cause very much trouble compared to Norton utilities.

i've had antivirus for three years and its never discovered anything (and i download a lot) and its never given me problems...

But definetely don't get norton utilities.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Given the incredibly low chance of getting a virus on your Mac and the incredibly high chance of anything with the word "Norton" in it doing annoying things to your Mac, I'd skip it all completely. If you someday find yourself in bad trouble, buy DiskWarrior--but that's IF you ever get in a situation where you need it.

Office--not the necessary evil most people think it is (evil yes, necessary no). If you just need to do simple word processing then TextEdit is fine. If you need to do more, Appleworks is good but a lot of people (myself included) can't get over the interface. If you need the features or compatibility with the rest of the world, then MS Office becomes a necessary evil.

Dreamweaver is great! I used GoLive for a while, and Dreamweaver is much easier, cleaner, better.

Burning in Finder has always been fine for me. If you need to make hybrid disks or multi session then you'd need something like Toast.

Do you need anything else? Depends what you do, but probably not. You'll have all the essentials built in and tweaks are easy to come by. Make friends with versiontracker.com.

8. scollie41 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I do need Office, and I can get it $50 so it's not that bad of a deal. Thanks for the other suggestions everyone!