Software Restore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmsait19, Jan 14, 2005.

1. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

I've done some searching through the forums, and not really found anything. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places. Anyways, I want to do a clean reinstall of OSX and all that. I want to start from where I was when I bought the computer basically.

So I have already backed up all my files to my iPod and am ready to wipe clean and start, except I'm not really sure how to proceed from here. I have all the dics and everything, but I'm not really sure where to go now. I'm guessing I just put in the software restore disc and go, but I'm not completely sure. Do I have to boot a certain way? Any help would be appreciated.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Load Mac OS X CD that came along with the Mac.

When custom options show on screen select default instal and erase HDD.

That is all you need to do for a factory install. :)

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Pretty easy. Put the CD in the drive, and reboot. Once you hear the chime hold down the "c" key and it should boot off the CD. Then just follow the instructions. You may have 2 separate CD's, so once OSX is installed you probably have to execute the "software restore" to get all the original apps back.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You don't have to enter the boot screen, since once the Mac OS X CD is loaded on the desktop all you have to do is click install Mac OS X and it will restart from there off the CD. :)

5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

ahh, never tried it like that.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Learn new things everyday. :)

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or, press and hold the "c" key while starting up to start up off of a CD (or DVD).

Or, press and hold the "option" key while starting up to see all available startup disks. This can take a while, however you can have the option of starting into any operating system installed or any disks with a copy of the OS and are blessed.

8. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I did it using the software restore and everything is back up and running well.

9. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

when i did it, i opened disk utility from the boot disk and had it write zero's to the disk so it really erased everything and then proceeded to install os x, just another way of doing it :)

10. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright so I did it and everything is working fine now, but my XBench tests are hovering around 80-85 instead of 100. Whats with that? Could it be just an older version of XBench?

Edit: I found the problem. There were several. I had somehow gotten version 1.0 instead of 1.1.3 of the site, which after looking through the history is actually a sizable difference. My energy saver settings were also a little off. So after a little tweak or so, I scored a 105. I though things were feeling a little sluggish before.