Software Restore???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobbioca, Oct 12, 2003.

1. bobbioca macrumors newbie

Hi all
    Just a quick question. When using the Software Restore disks to restore the OS 9 System Folder (on a MDD G4 w/OS X 10.2) will I lose all of my os9 preferences etc. I imagine I will - no biggie, just wondering.
    Cheers
    Rob

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

If you use the System Resotre I think if you select an option, or maybe if you don't it might earase the whole hard drive (or maybe the OS 9 part, I'm not sure) If you have OS X installed backup your files. I recomend you backup your files anyway though. You never know when your data may go.

3. bobbioca thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I've installed os x 10.2, and I have a os 9 System folder on a firewire hd (with sys prefs I want to keep). Instead of restoring OS 9 via software restore, can I just drag the old folder over. And, what would happen if I dragged the old folder over and then restored the os 9 system? would my prefs be lost?

I can't get my head around this and nowhere does it tell me if software restore deletes prefs...

Thanks again
    Rob

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well I think it might, just backup ur system folder and your prefrences folder (inside ur system folder) Most of you OS 9 apps have thier prefs in teh prefrences folder. I hope this works. I think if you can do a Full Backup, and then Restore the system