Software to convert video to an iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by popefloyd, Sep 26, 2006.

1. popefloyd macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2006
    Does anyone have any recommendations for converting video files from dvd's avi, wma or any other type of video file to a video iPod on a Mac?

I am thinking of getting a video iPod and wanted some suggestions for good software to convert video files to a video iPod.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    can't quicktime pro do this? or have i just lost it?
  3. popefloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2006
    I don't have Quicktime Pro but are you sure it does the job for all video formats?
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Handbrake will convert DVDs to iPod-formatted movies but not the new 640x480 format. It will still do 320x240, 768kbps H.264 movies but to get the higher res files you'll need to do a 100% quality rip (MPEG-4, .mp4 format) and do an "Export Movie to iPod" conversion of that file in Quicktime Pro.

iSquint will handle nearly everything else, wma's are hit-and-miss because MS won't let Macs play the newer stuff.

When Handbrake is updated to include the new baseline profile Apple are using for it's new format then all you'll really need is Handbrake and iSquint.
  5. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    Similar to Chundles' instructions, I rip in good quality with Handbrake (as I like a nicer copy to watch on my mac) and compress down to iPod size with iSquint, which is fantastic. I then use Lostify to smarten all the tags up before popping them in iTunes.

Works nicely for me.
  6. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    iSquint doesn't yet support the new 640x480 resolution. Using QuickTime Pro has its own set of problems (depending on the codec, the audio be lost completely on conversion). But for 320x240, iSquint is the easiest, fastest and best solution.
  7. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I might be stealing this thread a bit, but I am looking for something similar to Instant Handbrake for the PC. I have a really fast computer at work and it would be great to use that instead of my computer that takes about 5 hrs to rip a DVD to iPod. I actually really like the size that Instant Handbrake does now because the files are small and perfect for watching on the iPod. If I want something bigger, I would just watch directly from my DVD.

anyone have a suggestion? I tried AVS DVDtoGO, seemed to work ok, but I don't feel like dishing out the $25 just yet. I want to see if maybe there are some better options. I like going directly from DVD to iPod, I don't want to first rip to the computer, then convert to the iPod format.