software to quantify sound waves?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CTYankee, Oct 28, 2004.

1. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2002
    I am looking for a mac program that can take the input from a microphone, record the sound, AND most importantly quantify the data. IE amplitude, frequency, etc. Is tis something that you can do in BIAS? While BIAS isn't made to do that, it might have the ability. I've found a few freebies for the PC world, but none for mac.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    There are commercial packages that will do that, ETF5 for instance, but I'm not sure of there are freeware versions, have you tried searching versiontracker?
  3. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't know how much experience you may have with it, but MATLAB can be used to get information from .wav file. For a project, I've made an equalizer with it - and I know you can look at the frequency properties with matlab.
  4. Viv macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2003
    Normandy, France
    When you say you want to quantify them what exactly do you want?

I use Amadeus ll from to analyze the sound made by a pulse jet engine, its basically a big jet engine but it works on acoustics so has no moving parts.

I record the engine running then use the FFT function to get exact Harmonic information to see whats happening inside the engine with out using $$$$$ worth of pressure sensors just a good microphone.

It has a number of anlyses modes that you can use including a scope and waterfall FFT, it also records and has all the usuel commands and filters.

It works on a shareware license, I was so impressed that I paid the $30 to the guy for it, its saved me thousands.

Its also goddam fast, it rips a 65k point FFT on a 100mb file in seconds.

Hope that helps

5. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I might also suggest octave or scilab. I believe they both have .wav capabilities, are completely free, and are very fast. If you let me know what exacty you're trying to do, I can probably give you a hand.