Software to Read Card Readers...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Is there software that can read and directly import images from "all-in-one" card readers? I bought a LaCie 8 in 1 reader, and when I put my CompactFlash card in, iPhoto detected it, but said there were no images on the card. It would be very tedious to have to use the Finder to move all the images to a separate directory, then import them into iPhoto (although I guess I could use the "Add to Library" command...).

Also, two things that have puzzled me about iPhoto (I've only started using it extensively with iLife 05):
    When it imports, it seems as if it is not using the original file in its Library - is this the case? For example, file changes that I make in iPhoto don't reflect on the original file. Does this mean I have two copies of my images on my hard drive? (And is there a reason for this not having the original file in the iPhoto library?)
    And why won't iPhoto let you make changes to the caption/file name just by clicking on the caption? I use iView Media, and all you have to do is click on the title (which is the file name), and it is reflected in the actual file on disk.

As much as I hate to say it, the Windows version of Photoshop Elements has iPhoto beat in its album managing features. Very simple to use, and very powerful. It seems as if Mac users have the option of incomplete, low-end album managers like iPhoto, or expensive, high-end products like Portfolio that are geared to professionals. (Please, correct me if I am mistaken...)

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Have you tried Image Capture?

When you edit photos, iPhoto makes a backup copy of the original in case you decide to undo.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    iPhoto works like iTunes - it keeps track of your files for you so that you don't have to work with them in the Finder any more. So it can do this, it does copy all the files into its iPhoto library rather than using the original files that you can move around more easily.

This method makes perfect sense if you do everything with your digital photos through iPhoto (mailing them to people, dragging them from there into other programs, editing them them through iPhoto even if you use Photoshop to do the actual editing).

Where it falls down is if you just use iPhoto as a viewer, and are used to keeping the files elsewhere. Then you end up with versions of the same photo in difference places and no way of deduping them. Or if when you want to attach a picture to an email, you go hunting through the file system for it rather than just dragging it out of iPhoto.

The good thing about iPhoto not just assuming that all image files should be in your iPhoto library is that you don't end up with odd logos/christmas cards etc ending up in there.

As for the cardreader, try this. Put in cardreader and find the appropriate folder in Finder. Highlight everything and drag it straight into iPhoto - it will copy straight in rather than the two step - to desktop and import in.