Software Update broken? Mail crashes on launch?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Max on Macs, May 16, 2006.

1. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi guys,

Since yesterday evening I've noticed too problems with my system. First off when I open Software Update it checks then it doesn't come up with the message saying there are no new updates, it just sits there with no updates showing. I tried rerunning it several times, no luck.

Then there's Mail.app... Since last night wnenever I open it it just freezes and I have to force quit it. Again, tried reopening it loads of times and no luck.

It's getting really annoying because I want the new iWeb update. Email isn't too bad at the moment because I can use Mac.com but that's not idea.

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do these apps work properly in a new user account? :)

3. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi there,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay in following it up. I've been so b usy in these last few months I haven't been paying as much attention to my threads here as I really should be.

I created a new account and ran software update. It worked fine so I logged out and logged into my original account and Software Update worked fine on that one now too. Weird. So then I logged into the new account and opened Mail. It opened the wizard for setting up a mail account, so I'm guessing it's working, but I didn' actually go ahead and setup an account. I deleted the new account and Software Update continues to work, while Mail does not work on this account still (but if I create a new account it seems fine on the new account, just not this one). What should I do to fix this? Very confused as to why it would work on one account and not another.

Thanks

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, it could be a corrupt attachment in Mail. Can you think when it started freezing? :)

5. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Started freezing on Tuesday night I think. Monday or Tuesday night. Is there any way I can fix this?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, check for attachments that you got around that time and remove them. :)

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

indeed...when was the last time u repaired permissions?

Bless

8. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi guys,

Just did repair permissions and that didn't fix the problem. I had about 50 attachments in .Mac but I downloaded then deleted every one of them and still Mail isn't working. Any other ideas?

Thanks

9. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Ok I accidently clicked a mailto: link in a web page and... Mail started working again! Weird. Thanks for the advice guys.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Glad it's all working, but that is the strangest solution I've ever heard. Hopefully, it isn't just a temporary fix. :)

11. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Seems it is a temporary fix. Mail has started freezin again, and clicking a mailto: link doesn't fix it this time, it just opens and freezes as when opened normaly :eek:

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well which OS are you on? I'd think about manually reinstalling the OS Combo Update. :)

13. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I'm on 10.4.6 and it randomly started working again this morning! :confused: I'm thinking maybe the 10.4.7 rumored Mail and Safari fixes will help? My Safari randomly freezes sometime when not active, too.