software update can't connect!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by chibianh, Apr 19, 2002.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I just set up my home network with a linksys router and when i try to update software through Software Update, it won't connect! I am able to surf the web and all and don't know what the problem would be. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

Anh

2. dualburn001 macrumors regular

same here, but it was working fine before the security update for ie, but now it's unable to connect to the internet, and i also use a linksys router
    errrr microsoft is getting me mad

3. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I haven't downloaded the IE security update, however.. hehe Maybe that's the problem, maybe it isn't... hmm...

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

maybe a firewall is stopping it? did you downlaod the 10.1.4 update? Maybe that screwed up your firewall settings....

irmongoose

5. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I guess that is indeed the first thing that should be checked.
    After I updated to .1.4 my email account settings were suddenly screwed up, And I also found that some of my settings were changed so...
    Check FW.
    btw, be carefull with the IE update though, so far I had nothing but trouble with IE. (slower,sometimes pages are not displayed, or not properly displayed, doesn't connect,...

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

no it stuffed mine also
    What should I do
    I wanted to get the java Update ( I'm lagging )
    and now it won't connect

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I've got the exact same problem. It just says it cannot connect to the internet. Odd.

8. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

since i haven't upgraded to 10.1.4 or to IE 5.1.4, and I couldn't connect, maybe there is a problem with the apple server.. no?

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

same

just got home last night to my parents' new imac which had 10.1.2 installed. tried software update and nothing. it was connected, and it's just a modem with no firewall or anything...

something must be up in general. too much coincidence...

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

i saw that everyone was having problems.... and so I tried to do mine.. and yep it didnt work. and you know another thing? I use the network time thing so the time is exact.. and guess what? It's 5 hours behind!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So seeing that people had this problem before even downloading 10.1.4.... Apple's servers must have gone POOF!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

irmongoose

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think that chibianh and irmongoose are correct. There must be a server problem with the website.

I just tried Software Up. running OS X 10.1.3 (not ..4) and there was no established connection.

Now why would there be a server problem with Apple and Software Update? The only reasons I can think of are that Apple may be changing their server clock, server operating system, or maybe even something else. What would that be?

Anytime is a great time for iPod.

12. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

drat

i can't update either... i'm just going to blindly believe they are ramping up something big for update: 10.2

they want to let us download it !

13. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

sorry to dissapoint you kishba but then why would their time server be screwed up????

it might be a huge problem!!! someone hacked into apple's servers!???

okay now im acting up a little but still.. if it was a 10.2 update thing there would be no reason for all the other servers to get screwed.

irmongoose

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is there any chance apple might not know about this problem? i'd guess not, but just wondering if someone should call and talk to them and see what's up... or has someone?

still nothing here. i just manually updated to 10.1.4 but it's the smaller updates with java and all that stuff which i'd rather update automatically using sw... hmm

15. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

irmongoose....

it's called really-really-really wishful thinking :)

16. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

hmmm, it's working again. I wonder what that was all about?

17. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

If those Rack Mount server rumors are correct (I prey that they are) I bet they are updating there system to those machines, although I would have thought it would have been better thought out.

Guy