Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I'm not sure why but I've noticed for about 4 weeks now that whenever I run my Software Update from the System Preferences menu, the System Preferences quits with the message,

"The application System Preferences has unexpectedly quit".

I've tried the Disk Repair utility, and used Norton software to fix any disk problems but nothing works. The last OSX update required that I go to the Apple website and manually update my software to 10.2.5. I used to just click the Software Update and everything was taken care of. This is an annoying problem, now I have to manually hunt down updates. Any suggestions?

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
Tried Disk Utility, repair permissions, still doesn't work. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to live with it for now. :(

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by erickkoch
Tried Disk Utility, repair permissions, still doesn't work. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to live with it for now. :(

Try booting from the 10.2 install disks then going to Disk Utility in the file menu. Run Repair Disk Permissions from there. You will need to select the hard drive by name before doing it or the buttons will not light up. Also if you run Disk Repair first you need to deselect and reselect the drive or quit Disk Utility and reopen it before you can repair Disk Permissions. It's a glitch in the program I guess.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by MacBandit
Try booting from the 10.2 install disks then going to Disk Utility in the file menu. Run Repair Disk Permissions from there. You will need to select the hard drive by name before doing it or the buttons will not light up. Also if you run Disk Repair first you need to deselect and reselect the drive or quit Disk Utility and reopen it before you can repair Disk Permissions. It's a glitch in the program I guess.

Repairing permissions only works on the boot disk and since that would be the CD-ROM that time, that wouldn't help.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by bousozoku
Repairing permissions only works on the boot disk and since that would be the CD-ROM that time, that wouldn't help.

For some reason you're response isn't quite clicking with me. Why would the CD-Rom not work? I can't be reading this right. It's just garbley gook when I try to figure out what your trying to say.

You can repair disk permissions from the finder without starting on the CD. It will not perform a 100% job like booting off the CD will but some times it will get you going when you have no other option.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by MacBandit
For some reason you're response isn't quite clicking with me. Why would the CD-Rom not work? I can't be reading this right. It's just garbley gook when I try to figure out what your trying to say.

You can repair disk permissions from the finder without starting on the CD. It will not perform a 100% job like booting off the CD will but some times it will get you going when you have no other option.

If you boot from the CD-ROM, it would be the boot disk. You can only repair permissions on the boot disk; therefore, you can't repair the permissions of the hard drive when you boot from the CD-ROM, only when you boot from the hard drive. Repairing the disk structure works in an inverse fashion: you are not able to run disk repair on the boot disk, but you may verify it.

Nepenthe

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Minnesota
me too

I have also experienced that problem of the pref's unexpectedly quitting. Not sure if I can attribute it to the software update, tho.

That is the only issue I have run into with 10.2 thus far. I also have had one system lockup for which I had to do a manual restart. Otherwise it's peachy.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by bousozoku
If you boot from the CD-ROM, it would be the boot disk. You can only repair permissions on the boot disk; therefore, you can't repair the permissions of the hard drive when you boot from the CD-ROM, only when you boot from the hard drive. Repairing the disk structure works in an inverse fashion: you are not able to run disk repair on the boot disk, but you may verify it.

Sorry, but your wrong. You can repair disk permissions from any disk. I even suggest/recommend booting off the CD to repair disk permissions. I do it regularly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.